turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where is the audit risk meter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MollsBBU

That feature has been removed from TurboTax Online since ultimately, all audits are at the discretion of the IRS.

Note: This feature is still available in TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business Desktop versions and can be accessed on the Review tab (under Audit Protection).

Besides having deductions that look puffed up, you can boost your odds of getting an audit notice with any of these:

--being self-employed (opportunities to cheat abound).

--having a 1099 mismatch (you show a $5,000 capital gain, the broker reports $15,000).

--having a large income (the IRS gets a better payback for audit efforts among the wealthy).

--claiming a large non-cash donation.

--reporting a loss from a business activity that could be a hobby.

Please note that the IRS randomly reviews a small percentage of returns regardless of audit risk. In addition, the IRS's focus on audit risk factors changes periodically and is not made public. Please see this Forbes article or this TurboTax Blog for more information about audit risk.

Also, see the TurboTax FAQ below for how TurboTax is there for you in the event of an audit:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4204836

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Sorry--it was discontinued in online TT.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I will not use you again.
MollsBBU

That feature has been removed from TurboTax Online since ultimately, all audits are at the discretion of the IRS.

Note: This feature is still available in TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business Desktop versions and can be accessed on the Review tab (under Audit Protection).

Besides having deductions that look puffed up, you can boost your odds of getting an audit notice with any of these:

--being self-employed (opportunities to cheat abound).

--having a 1099 mismatch (you show a $5,000 capital gain, the broker reports $15,000).

--having a large income (the IRS gets a better payback for audit efforts among the wealthy).

--claiming a large non-cash donation.

--reporting a loss from a business activity that could be a hobby.

Please note that the IRS randomly reviews a small percentage of returns regardless of audit risk. In addition, the IRS's focus on audit risk factors changes periodically and is not made public. Please see this Forbes article or this TurboTax Blog for more information about audit risk.

Also, see the TurboTax FAQ below for how TurboTax is there for you in the event of an audit:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4204836

Why remove this feature and not notify the online users? This is one of the main reasons I used Turbotax, I will probably be looking for a different tax preparation software next year.  The kicker is, I had already paid for the online version and could find away to download the desktop version without paying for it again.  I had actually enjoyed doing my taxes in previous years...not this year.  It seemed cold and not as user friendly.
gdognight

Yep not gonna use it ever again. To bad so sad bye bye
ED22137
Returning Member

I'm using the disc and always love the audit check.  I'm not on line. Please tell me how to bring it up.

[email address removed]

ED22137
Returning Member

I didn't see it.  I'll look again.  If I can't find it, I'll be back for help.

[email address removed]

ED22137
Returning Member

I got the audit protection and it looks great.   Now I need help on getting my Tracking and Checking account numbers poste.  It won't let me post them.  It posted in Form 8888 but didn't transfer to 1040 Worksheet and 1040.  What do I need to do.

[email address removed]

ED22137
Returning Member

I'm using a disc and have Deluxe.  What do I need to do to post my Tracking and Checking account numbers.  This use to be easy.  I want direct deposit.  Again it is posted in form 8888 but

didn't transfer to 1040 worksheet or 1040.  It won't let me post them.

[email address removed]

ED22137
Returning Member

I'm in a loop.  It keeps going back to Reply to message.  I have twice.   How do I post my Tracking and Bank Account Number on my 1040.  It is posted on Form 8888 but didn't transfer to 1040 worksheet or 1040.  This use to be easy.  What's going on with Turbotax.  What am I doing wrong.  What's wrong with this software I'm texting to you now.  It's getting annoying.  I's like to talk to a live person.

[email address removed]

ED22137
Returning Member

Did it again.  It looped back.  I need help.

[email address removed]

ED22137
Returning Member

I'll just write in my bank tracking and account number.   This isn't going to look good.  If they contact me I'll tell them I tried for help from Turbotax but they didn't give me any help.  

[email address removed]

It is still available in TurboTax Online.  It comes after you enter your Schedule C expenses.

Agreed. I am very disappointed with the loss of the audit meter and I don't like it and Ive used TurboTax online for years. Do you know of another comparable online tool? I'm looking also. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies