turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tennessee does not require state tax return, but Turbo Tax is charging me for it anyways.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnR1

Tennessee does not require state tax return, but Turbo Tax is charging me for it anyways.

Tennessee does not impose a state income tax, other than the so-called "Hall Tax" on interest and dividend income.

Generally, if you are a person whose legal domicile is Tennessee, you only need to file the Tennessee Hall Tax return if your taxable interest and dividend income exceeded $1,250 ($2,500 if married filing jointly) during the tax year.

If you don't need to file a Tennessee state tax return, and TurboTax has generated one for you,  you can delete a state return in TurboTax Online, as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version).

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ, "How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?":

For more information about Tennessee's Hall Tax, please see the following Hall Income Tax Return guide from the Tennessee Department of Revenue:

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/revenue/attachments/indincguide.pdf 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JohnR1

Tennessee does not impose a state income tax, other than the so-called "Hall Tax" on interest and dividend income.

Generally, if you are a person whose legal domicile is Tennessee, you only need to file the Tennessee Hall Tax return if your taxable interest and dividend income exceeded $1,250 ($2,500 if married filing jointly) during the tax year.

If you don't need to file a Tennessee state tax return, and TurboTax has generated one for you,  you can delete a state return in TurboTax Online, as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version).

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ, "How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?":

For more information about Tennessee's Hall Tax, please see the following Hall Income Tax Return guide from the Tennessee Department of Revenue:

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/revenue/attachments/indincguide.pdf 

lcwrit

The Franchise and Excise tax form is required for businesses, It's a long tedious form.

digmas1

IS there a form for Franchise and Excise Tax for Tennessee? This would be very helpful to include.

@digmas1 wrote:

IS there a form for Franchise and Excise Tax for Tennessee? This would be very helpful to include.

Form TN FAE 170 (F), Franchise, Excise Tax Return for Tennessee is only included in the State Business Forms program when using the TurboTax Business Edition.  The Business Edition can only be installed on a Windows based personal computer, not on a Mac or online.  The Business Edition cannot complete a personal tax return, Form 1040.

TurboTax Business Edition - https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

When will the Tennessee tax forms be available to file ordinary dividends and taxable interest income?  I think it's referred to as a Hall Tax return?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, that is the name. Hall Income Tax Manual - March 2021 shows on page 7 repealed   after Jan 1, 2021. So, no TN individual income tax now on dividends and interest.

@stapes1956

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies