turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TD Ameritrade All Numeric Document ID

TurboTax is having an issue importing numeric Document ID from TD Ameritrade. I have two TD accounts. I had no issue importing my 1099 that had a Document ID with this format ABC12345678 (11 characters). When I try importing my other account with a all numeric Document ID, TurboTax Premier pops the following message. Document ID (11 characters, eg. A12B3456CD7): Please enter the 11-character Document ID without spaces for your Form 1099 (top right corner). I've had no issue in previous years. Both accounts imported without any issues. I called TurboTax but they couldn't provide a helpful answer. I called TD and they said it was an issue with the TurboTax Desktop software. I have been trying daily hoping the TurboTax fixed the issue with an update. I tried everything possible with the Document ID field. There is definitely no space being entered. How can TurboTax not be of any help or fix the Document ID field in their software?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions here by Zubinh23 as you can try to troubleshoot it using third party access. 

If you need further assistance, please comment and let us know. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TD Ameritrade says there is no restriction on my account and this is a TurboTax issue.  Below is part of their email response.  I already tried having a TurboTax representative shadow into their software. They saw how one of my accounts imported fine and the other one with the all numeric Document ID popped the message and doesn't allow the import.  I was then told to contact TD. 

TD Ameritrade: We show everything is working properly on our end so the issue remains either with the software or how it is being entered. We would recommend working with TurboTax and possibly having them shadow into the software and assist you with entering the information if you continue to have trouble.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

I already tried that.  The TurboTax representative remoted into my TurboTax desktop software and told me to contact TD Ameritrade because he couldn't figure it out. Been using TurboTax for 15 years and never had an issue. Both TD Ameritrade accounts were imported into last year's TurboTax software for my return.  What changed? Something changed to the Document ID field so it doesn't like all numbers. Seems like an easy programming fix and explanation. There are NO spaces being entered into the field.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please review the help article here for assistance with trouble importing the 1099. 

If you are still unable to import it into Turbo Tax, you can also follow the instructions here to input large amount of stock into the return. 

If you need further assistance, please comment and let us know. 

pkretz
Returning Member

Agree with OP - TurboTax won't import my 1099-DIV statement from TD Ameritrade. 

I input 9-digit Account Number and 11-digit Document ID as listed, but get TTx error message that says "Document ID: Please enter the 11-character Document ID from your Form 1099 (top right corner)" .  This is exactly what I do, and same error box comes up.  

I use the same process for two 1099-Rs (for spouse and me) and it works just fine.  Same as others have stated, the document IDs for 1099-Rs have both alpha and numeric characters in them, and the 1099-DIV only has numbers ...  not sure why that should matter, but there you are.   

Anyone been able to solve this?  Calling TTx is not helpful, they say it is TD Ameritrade problem ... but of course the other TD Ameritrade docs import just fine, so I think this is a TTx issue.  

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

This is annoying advice, I know, but here it is - type it in yourself.

There are always a bunch of issues with different brokerage computers talking to TurboTax computers this time of year.  They always get it fixed no matter which end it's on.  They figure it out and get it taken care of.  But everyone who needs to mess with it has to wait in the meantime.  If you had a 1099-B I would advise patience - that's a lot of numbers to have to enter.  But a 1099--DIV isn't that many.  Type it in and be finished with these taxes.

pkretz
Returning Member

I just found one thing that "might" be relevant here, from instructions about how to import documents from one of my investment services.  It says that TurboTax Premiere is required for importing "investment documents". 

Looks like TTx Deluxe, which I am using, will import 1099-Rs, but if I want to import investment docs from TD Ameritrade and other sources, it will require upgrade to Premiere.  Hmmm.. I'll just enter manually.  

I always use TurboTax Premier.  I purposely buy it for the simple import from TD Ameritrade.  Nope!!!!  Not this year.  This is the first year that I'm having an issue.  One TD account imports as it should.  The other account is having an issue and it's TurboTax....NOT TD Ameritrade.  Very sad that TurboTax can't fix the issue.  It's pretty simple to fix the validation of the text box or update the rules they have set.  Most likely the last year using TurboTax.  They are losing a long-time customer.

This post is on the Intuit web site.  Do they not have anyone checking it?  I was able to email and upload a screen shot of the TurboTax message to TD Ameritrade.  TD reviewed and responded with a detailed message.  Unfortunately you can't do that to TurboTax support.  Guess they don't care and want customers to pay extra for the Premier software even if it doesn't work for their customers.  I already called TurboTax support and the rep admitted that he didn't like when he couldn't resolve an issue.  

All fixed!  TurboTax has made an update and you can now import an all numeric Document ID from TD.

BrandiLO1
Intuit Alumni

Do you need assistance with something @mfeliciano20? It appears your question did not come through.

This is About TD Ameritrade not Charles Scwab.

@rseago0806   Do you have a question?  This whole thread is about TD Ameritrade.  Or do you have a question about Schwab?  You might need to start a new post.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies