turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dave130

Taxes on RMD for 2020

I took my full IRA RMD for 2020 before the law changed to waive RMDs  for 2020.  I then redeposited 50% of the distribution back into the same IRA within the allowable timeframe.   The TurboTax form shows that I owe taxes on the entire distribution, not just the 50% I kept out.  

Do I need to mark the distribution as not an RMD, as the response indicated for a similar question from someone who rolled the entire amount back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Taxes on RMD for 2020

Correct, you need to mark the distribution as NOT being an RMD....then you will get the follow-up questions about the returning any of it to a retirement account and how much was rolled over.

Since RMDs aren't eligible for rollovers...that's why you don't get the rollover questions in going that route in the questions.

People who have pensions that automatically send out monthly payments ..... those are still RMDs...so they can't rollover any of those $$.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
dal130
Returning Member

Taxes on RMD for 2020

Thanks,

I unchecked the RMD box but that didn't solve the problem until I deleted the payer and re-entered the information correctly (ie not a RMD).  The re-entered information correctly figured taxes on the amount kept out.

Thanks again for your guidance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies