turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stuck in the twilight zone

Hello!

I am in need of dire help and have no idea what to do. I can't seem to further on he filling process because my boxes have blue outlines around them. It wants to me answer a certain way when that is not the box that should be checked. I am struggling because my taxes have not been done in 3 years! I have the W2's and just need to file. I want somebody to do it for me but I can't even get to the point to give my credentials. I am so lost! Please help

[email address removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Sorry----you cannot use online TurboTax for past year returns.   The online software has not yet become available for 2022 returns. You will not be able to get "Live" expert help for past year return, or get anyone from TurboTax to "do" your returns for you.

If you need that kind of help you should seek local paid tax help.  

If you want to use the do-it-yourself desktop software:

Each tax year has to be filed separately using the forms for the specific tax year.  They cannot be combined in any way--do not even put them in the same envelope when you mail them.  Software for past years is available back to 2019.  Any earlier years can only be prepared on paper forms by hand--and those refunds have been forfeited now.

TurboTax has software for 2019 onward.   Software is no longer available from TurboTax for earlier years, nor would it be supported even if you find it on eBay, etc.  Updates are not available.   It is also too late to receive a tax refund for a tax year earlier than 2019---those refunds have been forfeited.   BUT if you owe tax due you still have to pay with penalties and interest.   There might be other software providers that have software for those years, but you will not receive refunds for the returns even if the forms show a refund.

It might be better for you to seek local paid tax help in a situation when you are several years behind in filing your tax returns.  Do you even have all of the documents you will need to enter and show your income—like your W-2’s and any 1099’s?

Online preparation and e-filing for 2019 and 2020 and 2021 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2019, 2020 or 2021 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You may also want to explore purchasing the software from various retailers such as Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam’s, etc.

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0... 

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

If you are getting a refund, there is not a penalty for filing past the deadline.  If you owe taxes, the interest/penalties will be calculated by the IRS based on how much you owe and when they receive your return and payment. The IRS will bill you for this; it will not be calculated by TurboTax.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

For past year tax returns, you can only use the CD version of the software that you purchase, download and install on your Windows or MAC computer. Start with the oldest year first. TurboTax only supports their software for the current tax filing season and 3 years back. So you can only use the TurboTax software for a 2019 tax return and newer. To get prior year TurboTax programs go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/ and make sure you select the link for the tax year you need.

Note that a prior year tax return can not be e-filed. The IRS says so. You will have to print, sign and mail the return to the IRS. The same will hold true for your state also, if your state taxes personal income and you are required to file a state tax return.

I have downloaded the software and have been trying to do it on my Mac but that is where I am having the trouble. It won't even let me speak to an expert. 

Carl
Level 15

It won't even let me speak to an expert. 

If by "it", you are referring to live online help, that is not available in the CD version of the software and never has been.  If you need help or have questions, you can post your question here and when read by someone who can help, they will reply to your post in this forum.  Also, make it clear in your post that you're on a MAC, so someone trying to help you doesn't give you guidance that applies only to a Windows computer.

When posting in this public forum, be aware that is is a "putlic" forum, and do not post any personally identifiable information that scammers will pounce on.

Yeah I downloaded and paid for the version needed in order to file on Mac. Nothing it letting me get past a certain point regardless how many times I start over.

@savannahmbohl We do not know what tax year you downloaded software for---so please explain.   As we have already told you, you will not be able to get "live" expert help for a past year tax return.   That "live" or "full service" help is only available with the online software, and only for the current tax year.   Help with past year tax returns is not a service provided by TurboTax.

This is a holiday weekend.  Customer support is only available during normal business hours Monday through Friday, so that explains why you have not been able to reach help during the weekend.

You can get customer support to help with technical problems you may be having if you downloaded the past year software (back to 2019).  You say you cannot get past a "certain point" but you have not mentioned what that is.   What are you trying to do that you cannot do?

If you downloaded the 2022 software you can get customer support for that software.   Make sure your request for help specifies that you are using a Mac.   That 2022 software can only be used for a 2022 tax return; it cannot help you with the past year returns you say you need to prepare.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time daily Monday- Friday

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Nothing it letting me get past a certain point regardless how many times I start over.

What point is that ?   Did you update the program?  To update a MAC you need to close it and reopen it while connected to the internet.  If you mean the FILE tab your only option is to mail in the return for all prior year returns.  Only 2022 can be efiled starting sometime next January.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies