turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stuck in a loop 'fix federal tax'

im stuck in a loop where turbotax says my box 14 for federal has 2 values that are above the max.

so i cant efile if that isnt "fixed".

however i cant mail my state taxes, all the papers say DO NOT MAIL. i have to Efile them.

however turbotax WONT LET ME EFILE MY STATE until i EFILE my federal, but i cant "fix" my federal TO efile it unless i literally lie about the #s in box 14...

state is NJ.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Ahh...so on a W-2  ?  and NJ SDI too...yep, it always helps to define what form you are talking about...so we don't waste time going down the wrong path.....none of us can see your forms .

Like I said though.....NJ forms say DO NOT FILE because they aren't ready in the software, and won't be for about another two weeks. 

It's possible that the MAX values for that NJ SDI have been changed for 2020 (Yep, I just checked...they upped it for 2020).....but the Max values probably have not been updated yet in the software yet...since the NJ forms, and their associated calculations, Are Not Final yet in the actual software.  Thus, when they do get finalized 2 weeks from now, that error may go away after that (IF you made sure the values are correct in the software).

( DI and SDI should be the same thing...unless the employer is doing something strange )

Don't mail the Fed ! ...wait until mid-February and e-file it instead.   You may be able to e-file the NJ tax returns at that time too.

The coronavirus ahs messed up things so badly, that  IRS may still be working on some 2019 mail-filed tax returns, and may not get to yours for another 4-8 MONTHS if you mail it.  

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

I updated the state forms availability link...I thought I could send you directly to the NJ forms, but apparently not...but you can get to them here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

Don't mail-file either tax return...efile both, but again...it is Highly recommended that you don't attempt to do so until Mid-Feb.  Filing sooner does not mean it gets processed sooner.  Processing the early-submitted  files is random, and mixed with those that were filed weeks later.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

7 Replies

@djtrickym 

Did you go back and review closely the actual values in box 14 on those 1099-R forms?  (I'm assuming they are 1099-R forms....but could be other).

Some states have a max value allowed in withholding as a % of the distribution....so if box 14 is (Say) 25% of the total distribution on that form, then the state won't allow an e-file because they want to see the actual physical copies of the 1099-R forms that prove you entered the number properly in the software, and it wasn't a mistake/key slip.

I don't know what NJ's % limit is, but yes, it is possible to tell a provider to up-the withholding amount to a higher than normal level......

1)  Edit the forms that show they were above the withholding limit to ensure the number is correct

........(don't hit any commas  111.22 entered as 111comma22 will turn into 11122.00)

2)  if they are correct, then you will have mail in the NJ tax forms, plus copies of any forms that have state withholding on them.  Sign, Date, make copies for yourself, and Mai in to NJ using a tracking method at the Post Office.   Correct...you will to wait until all the Federal AND State forms are fully updated so that you can print the final copies.  Most all NJ state forms are not "expected" (not promised) to be final and ready for printing until AFTER 28 January  .

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

The good thing, since you have to wait anyhow, you may find other things you "forgot" to include that need to be entered into your full tax return file anyhow....the Feds have announced they won't start processing until 12 February, so there is no rush....wait for ALL your tax documents and get it right the first time.  I wouldn't bother attempting to file the Federal part until after the 15th of Feb.....and the NJ part at the same time...if it lets you e-file it at that time, or print and mail the NJ part yourself if it won't.

this is all just on my W-2...no other forms...

im not sure i entierly understand your reply...

i have my federal printed and W-2 attached and in an envelope, but saw the state sheets all say 'do not mail'.

turbotax wont let me efile due to that box being 'wrong', ive checked it several times and the values in turbotax are the same as on my actual W-2, no errors...

only thing is turbotas says its NJ SDI but my W-2 says NJ DI...does that matter? @SteamTrain 

oh, so youre saying the NJ portion possibly isnt complete till that date? like im waiting for more tax forms?

so i need to wait till then to mail anything for state?

also the link just gave me a weird error:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" id="dark-mode-general-link"/>
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" id="dark-mode-custom-link"/>
<style lang="en" type="text/css" id="dark-mode-custom-style"/>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>495C88DA1F0A6962</RequestId>
<HostId>lVwgBUtELxZrKXcRbY//EARRDQNRnWiRxd5siQ9nxkga6ey2MAM/OFIU7C6qfqZHgiGDvfju/rE=</HostId>
</Error>

Ahh...so on a W-2  ?  and NJ SDI too...yep, it always helps to define what form you are talking about...so we don't waste time going down the wrong path.....none of us can see your forms .

Like I said though.....NJ forms say DO NOT FILE because they aren't ready in the software, and won't be for about another two weeks. 

It's possible that the MAX values for that NJ SDI have been changed for 2020 (Yep, I just checked...they upped it for 2020).....but the Max values probably have not been updated yet in the software yet...since the NJ forms, and their associated calculations, Are Not Final yet in the actual software.  Thus, when they do get finalized 2 weeks from now, that error may go away after that (IF you made sure the values are correct in the software).

( DI and SDI should be the same thing...unless the employer is doing something strange )

Don't mail the Fed ! ...wait until mid-February and e-file it instead.   You may be able to e-file the NJ tax returns at that time too.

The coronavirus ahs messed up things so badly, that  IRS may still be working on some 2019 mail-filed tax returns, and may not get to yours for another 4-8 MONTHS if you mail it.  

I updated the state forms availability link...I thought I could send you directly to the NJ forms, but apparently not...but you can get to them here:

Don't mail-file either tax return...efile both, but again...it is Highly recommended that you don't attempt to do so until Mid-Feb.  Filing sooner does not mean it gets processed sooner.  Processing the early-submitted  files is random, and mixed with those that were filed weeks later.

ok then, ill wait, thanks.

at the time i made the first post i was rather frustrated, to put it lightly, so i forgot to mention it was on a W-2.

Yeah...I sometimes forget too, that there are millions of people attempting to use TurboTax software....with a huge range of experience levels.   So we all get frustrated at some point  (or at several points ) .  The least frustrations with partially-ready software are those that wait until well into Feb to even start working on their taxes.  OF course, those that foolishly wait until April encounter a different probem....panic !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies