turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus Payments

If both husband and wife filing joint have ITIN's and have 2 kids with SSN,will this scenario qualify as mixed household for stimulus payments? I understand if one of the parents have a SSN then one parent and the kids will qualify for stimulus payments which seems correct but there are some articles out there and even videos saying that if parents have ITIN and children have SSN they qualify for stimulus payments on behalf of the children. Any clarification? Thank you for any assistance.

https://www.eitcoutreach.org/blog/are-immigrants-eligible-for-the-stimulus-check/

Eligibility requirements for the stimulus checks vary slightly. File a tax return if anyone in your household has a Social Security number. You are eligible for stimulus payments if:

• You (and your spouse, if filing jointly) are under the income limit.
  • You are not claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return.
  • You or your spouse has a Social Security Number (SSN). For the third stimulus check, you can receive $1,400 for each dependent with an SSN, even if you (and your spouse, if married) have Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs). More details on SSN requirements are discussed below.
  • You are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or qualifying resident alien.

Social Security Number Rules for the Third Stimulus Check

Any family member that has a Social Security number (SSN) can qualify for the third stimulus check. For example, in a household where both parents have ITINs, and their children have SSNs, the children qualify for stimulus checks, even though the parents don’t.

You can claim the third stimulus check for dependents of any age who live with you, not only children. Dependents must have an SSN or ATIN.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

Stimulus Payments

it's best to read the IRS.GOV website as the source of information.  

These FAQs do read that even if the parents are not eligible for the Stimulus (because they have ITIN), they are still eligible to receive stimulus for children with SS#

read the parts in red. 

______________________________________________________________________________________

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-b-e...

Generally, if you’re a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, you are eligible for $1,400 ($2,800  for a joint return), plus $1,400 for each qualifying dependent, if you (and your spouse if filing a joint return) aren’t a dependent of another taxpayer on a 2020 tax return, have a valid Social Security number (SSN) (see exception when married filing jointly and exception for qualified dependents) and your adjusted gross income (AGI) does not exceed:

• $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or if filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for eligible individuals using any other filing statuses, such as single filers and married people filing separate returns.

Payments will be phased out – or reduced -- above those AGI amounts. This means taxpayers will not receive a third payment if their AGI exceeds:

• $160,000 if married and filing a joint return or if filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $120,000 if filing as head of household or
  • $80,000 for eligible individuals using other filing statuses, such as single filers and married people filing separate returns.

For example, a single person with no dependents and an AGI of $77,500 will normally get a $700 payment (half the full amount). A married couple with two dependents and an AGI of $155,000 will generally get a payment of $2,800 (again, half the full amount). Filers with AGI of at least $80,000 (single and married filing separately), $120,000 (head of household) and $160,000 (married filing joint and surviving spouse) will get no payment based on the law.

You aren’t eligible for a payment if any of the following apply:

• You could be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s 2020 tax return
  • You’re a nonresident alien.
  • You don’t have a valid SSN issued to you by the due date of your tax return (including an extension to October 15 if you request it).

Also, payments will not be made to estates or trusts or for individuals who died before January 1, 2021. 

If you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2020 tax return, then you cannot claim a dependent on your tax return. You are also not eligible for the third Economic Impact Payment.

The third payment includes up to an additional $1,400 for each dependent you claim on your 2020 tax return (or your 2019 return if a 2020 return has not been filed or processed) with a valid SSN or Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number issued by the IRS. A valid SSN for the third Economic Impact Payment is one that is issued by the Social Security Administration before the due date of your tax return (including an extension to October 15 if you request it).

Stimulus Payments

Thank you for your response. Reason i asked is because a friend/relative him and his wife have ITIN's file taxes and 2 children have SSN. When they filed their taxes they were not able to get any of the Economic Rebate credit (stimulus payments) on their taxes, any feed back on this?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Stimulus Payments

For all three stimulus payments you have to be "a U.S. citizen or a qualifying resident alien with an SSN valid for employment."

The parents don't qualify for the stimulus and therefore cannot include the children in the stimulus amount.  The children, on their own, do not qualify because they are dependents.

Please see the following articles on the IRS website for more information:

Stimulus Payments

Thank you for your assistance. This topic is confusing and unclear when it come to mixed families.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-b-e...

This is what I found under IRS third payment FAQs

*I don’t have a valid SSN, but I have a qualified dependent that does. Will I get the third Economic Impact Payment for them? (added March 30, 2021)

-You can still receive up to $1,400 for a qualified dependent claimed on your return, even if you do not have a valid SSN, but you must meet all of the other eligibility and income requirements.

For example, if you file as head of household and your adjusted gross income is over $120,000 you would not qualify for any payment for you or your qualified dependent. If your income was under $120,000, you are a U.S. resident alien and not a dependent on another taxpayers 2020 return, you will not receive a $1,400 for yourself, but you may still receive up to $1,400 for a dependent you claimed on your return, if they have a valid SSN and meet all of the qualified dependent requirements.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulus Payments

That is correct.

But be aware, the third stimulus payments are not reflected anywhere on the 2020 income tax returns though.  They are issued separately and have no impact on how the tax returns are filed for 2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Stimulus Payments

Thank you for your response. So they will get a check on behalf of the children I am assuming for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stimulus but the stimulus cannot be claimed on 2020 taxes due to ITINs. This topic is tricky because it seems as there is a lot of confusion when it comes to both taxpayers with ITIN and children with SSN and what if the dependent whose 18 has a SSN I guess that dependent will qualify for the stimulus only.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulus Payments

Stimulus for rounds one and two (Recovery Rebate Credit on 2020 tax return) do not have this exception for taxpayers without a valid social security number.  So they will not get the Recovery Rebate Credit for rounds one and/or two.  However they will get a third round stimulus check (1400) for each dependent with a social security number, including a dependent over age 17. 

The third round payment is separate from the tax refund.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Stimulus Payments

Thank you for your response. So that we are on the same page, both taxpayers with ITIN and dependents with SSN will recieve only the 3rd stimulus of $1400 each in this case 2 dependents with SSN  ( $2,800) cannot be claimed on 2020 taxes but will come separately I am guessing as a check payment? 

Stimulus Payments

on the 2020 tax return, the parents with SS# and children with SS# are eligible for payments.  If you are due more than you ACTUALLY received from the 1st two stimulus payments it will appear on Line 30.   Anyone with ITIN is not eligible for a payment.  At least one parent must have SS# for the children to be eligible. 

for the 3rd stimulus payment, even if BOTH parents have ITIN, the children with SS# are still eligible for payments.  If two parents have ITIN but two children have SS#, then parents should receive $2800.  if they don't receive it in the next few months, it will get reconciled on the 2021 tax return and you will receive it as a credit on your tax return.  

what changed was that for the 1st and 2nd stimulus payments, if both parents did not have ss#, then the children were ineligible even if they had ss#.  for the 3rd stimulus payment, even if both parents did not have ss#, then the children are ELIGBLE as long as they had ss# .

Stimulus Payments

If a filing is made under joint basis, but one of the taxpayers has passed during the year, and indeed prior to the issuance of the first stimulus payment, how are payments to be treated.  Consider, first payment was made to each filer.  Second payment made solely to surviving filer.  TT asks about this and when amount entered for second payment is limited to surviving filer, a further tax credit is added to amount due/refund.  What should I do, if anything, to handle these situations?  I gather that the first payment will likely stand as is.  As to the second payment, it's unclear what the treatment will be, but curious as to why TT doesn't recognize date of death preceding window during which second payment was to be made.  Presumably if the credit is given and is disallowed, the IRS will notify of an adjustment to the filing?

Stimulus Payments

Don't worry.  You actually get the second $600 for them.  

For deceased individuals see the second question under Eligibility.  If they died in 2020 they still get it.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs

takavulla53
Returning Member

Stimulus Payments

last year, my refund was delayed for 8 weeks because I incorrectly entered the stimulus payment.  How do i avoid that problem again.  I am using turbo Tax.

Stimulus Payments

Make sure you enter the amounts you actually got for the 3rd stimulus so you don't claim it again.  Check over your return before you file.  Make sure line 30 is blank or the extra amount you did not get.  The 3rd stimulus is $1,400 for everyone listed on your return.  

Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

takavulla53
Returning Member

Stimulus Payments

where do I enter the amount of the stimulus I got.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies