Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus check

Do I have to file my 2018 & 2019 taxes to get a stimulus check. I was planning on getting those years done but with me being quarantined I could not make my appointment to get them done. 2019 is not due until July now I never filed for 2018. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Stimulus check

I'm in the same boat too. I trying to do my 2018 taxes now. 

Stimulus check

I'm wondering if I should do 2019 now or if 2018 is more important. I wish I knew someone who worked on taxes. I have my 2019 W2 but not my 2018. My job is closed I am in California & we are all on lockdown. I can do 2019 today. I just don't want to miss getting the stimulus check. 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulus check

Non-filers: Haven't filed a tax return for a previous year? Take steps now.

The IRS encourages anyone with a tax filing obligation who hasn't filed a tax return for 2018 or a previous year to act now. – Pending legislation includes certain potential credits and rebates for those who have filed a return for 2018 and/or 2019. Those without 2018 tax filings on record could potentially affect mailings of stimulus checks. And more than 1 million people who haven't filed tax returns for Tax Year 2016 and are owed a refund still face an April 15, 2020, deadline to file their return. This deadline hasn't been extended. Current law requires the 2016 return to be filed by April 15, 2020.

Many non-filers should consider contacting a tax professional to consider various available options since the time to receive such refunds is limited by statute. Once delinquent returns have been filed, most taxpayers have the opportunity to resolve any outstanding liabilities by entering into an Installment Agreement or an Offer in Compromise with the IRS to obtain a "Fresh Start." See IRS.gov for further information.

Source: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
wes1948

Stimulus check

I filed my taxes in October but never got a confirmation from IRS.  I also asked to make an adjustment.  How can I check that my taxes were filed?  I also need to continue to file my taxes but my accountant isn't reachable.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Stimulus check

If you need to confirm that your 2018 tax return was accepted use this link Taxpayer Assistance Center Office Locator it find the phone number and address of the IRS Assistance Center closest to your location.  Under the current situation that number may not be in service.  If that is the case you can request a transcript from the IRS for tax year 2018.  If you filed you will get a transcript if you did not file you will not receive one.  This link to the IRS web site  Welcome to Get Transcript  and has directions on how to obtain a transcript. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies