turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mattcej
Returning Member

Still asking for an EIN??

Hello. I am extremely frustrated. When I get to the end of filing, turbotax is still saying that I need to input an EIN number in order to e-file. However, I do not have one, and I believe I did every step correctly in order to not have to provide an EIN, yet it is still saying that I need one to file. I selected that I have no EIN under the Payments and identification tab under General Info, and I also put my income under "Other self-employed income" meaning that I shouldn't need to put in an EIN from a 1099 form. Please help me solve this so that I can file - I already paid the money required to file, and now I am unable to do so because of this issue.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Try using your SSN.

mattcej
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm hesitant to do that because my social security number is already listed on the form that it's trying to have me input an EIN into. I feel like this may cause problems with my filing? You think that it will be fine to just put my SS in the EIN box anyway?

EDIT: I just tried it, and it didn't work. It just keeps taking me back to the form when I tried to just input my SS and press continue.

mattcej
Returning Member

bump to hopefully get another answer

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I think we may be thinking about two different things here. When you first indicated that you do not need an EIN, this is for your business. However your issue may be related to a 1099 NEC form that you reported in your return as an income source. When the 1099 NEC screen asked who paid you, did you indicate that payer federal ID number was formatted like an EIN XX-XXXXXXX? Check this anyway to see if this was the source of your issue. This may be the missing information you are looking for. Here is a screenshot of the screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies