pro88

Standard Deduction

I read this re Standard Deduction. It lists many other deductions you can claim. Plus I'm also a Widower .

WHERE do I enter the following:

Married Filing Jointly or Qualified Widow(er) with Dependent Child

Your standard deduction starts at $24,800.

• Add $1,300 if you were born before January 2, 1956.
  • Add $1,300 if your jointly-filing spouse was born before January 2, 1956.
  • Add $1,300 if you were blind as of December 31, 2020.
  • Add $1,300 if your jointly-filing spouse was blind as of December 31, 2020.

WE QUALIFY FOR THE 1st TWO. How/Where do I go to enter them, please? 

(Why is TT so difficult for me this year!? I'm moving through it so slowly because I spend SO much time posting ?'s & researching, & doing 2020 taxes forces me to constantly be thinking of my deceased wife. I can't go on like this).

The Community has been very kind & responsive to me and I want ALL of you to know how much it means to me & how very helpful you have been.  If not for you I doubt I would even be filing.  Thank you...

macuser_22

Standard Deduction

You don't - it is added automatically if over age 65.  The 1040 line 12 will show the standard deduction plus $1,300 if over age 65 for each spouse and there is a question in the personal information section that asks your date of birth and if you are blind.

Standard Deduction

Turbo Tax automatically gives you the Standard Deduction plus the extra for being over 65, etc.   UNLESS your itemized deductions are more.  Itemized deductions are things like Medical, Gifts to Charity, State Income Taxes Paid, Mortgage Interest, Property Taxes, Car Registration fees, etc.

macuser_22

Standard Deduction

Standard Deduction