turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Source of amount in Line 13 (Form 8995)

Hi, 

While reviewing my 1040 (not yet printed) I noticed that there is an amount on Line 13, labeled as business income deduction coming from From 8995. Since I am yet to print my forms I am trying to understand where is it pulling this number from? Should it be related to the deductions claimed under my self-employment work or somewhere else? That particular number on Line 13 isn't showing up anywhere else in my income or deductions, so, it might be a combination of different numbers from different parts of my 1040. Can you help me understand the source of this number?

Thank you. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RayJG

I had same situation. I'm not self employed but my Fidelity investment income had this. It was imported when I imported my Brokerage data.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Line 13 of your 1040 represents the Qualified Business Income Deduction.

The deduction allows eligible taxpayers to deduct up to 20 percent of their qualified business income (QBI), plus 20 percent of qualified real estate investment trust (REIT) dividends and qualified publicly traded partnership (PTP) income.

Income earned through a C corporation or by providing services as an employee is not eligible for the deduction.

For more information on what qualifies as a trade or business.

Form 8995 "Qualified Business Income Deduction" is used to calculate this number.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Am I correct that this creates a lower or “revised” taxable income amount that is then used to calculate your tax liability?  When I look at my past turbo tax returns that appears to be the case after manually verifying the tax calculation 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies