turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I expense or depreciate a tool that was purchased and used for repair (let's say a drill)?

I have a multiple rental properties, and if I purchase a battery power drill ($50) and use it to repair and maintain multiple rental properties, is this drill an expense or should a depreciate it over multiple years? Does the de minimis safe harbor applies to this situation?

And since I used it on multiple properties, what should I do about it?

Since I do a lot of repair myself I purchased a lot of tools, such as screwdriver, multimeter, lawn mower, saw, etc each cost less than $2,500.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I expense or depreciate a tool that was purchased and used for repair (let's say a drill)?

You can expense (deduct in their entirety) such low-cost items provided they are used 100% for use in your rentals.

View solution in original post

See https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tangible-property-final-regulations

Generally, materials and supplies, etc., costing $200 or less (formerly $100), could always be expensed as an administrative convenience if used for business purposes. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You can expense (deduct in their entirety) such low-cost items provided they are used 100% for use in your rentals.

Thank you @tagteam. It is great that I can expense it. Is it because of the de minimis safe harbor election?

Thanks!

See https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tangible-property-final-regulations

Generally, materials and supplies, etc., costing $200 or less (formerly $100), could always be expensed as an administrative convenience if used for business purposes. 

Awesome. Thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies