Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I distribute dividends from irrevocable trust, or reinvest them

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You absolutely must review the trust document itself and I strongly suggest you seek legal and tax counsel if there is any confusion or ambiguity.

Some trusts allow accumulation of income while others require that income be distributed currently and many others give the discretion to the trustee regarding exactly which type of income, gain, and principal to distribute. Again, the trust document needs to be examined.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You absolutely must review the trust document itself and I strongly suggest you seek legal and tax counsel if there is any confusion or ambiguity.

Some trusts allow accumulation of income while others require that income be distributed currently and many others give the discretion to the trustee regarding exactly which type of income, gain, and principal to distribute. Again, the trust document needs to be examined.

Seek professional guidance  on this matter ... is this a new trust ?   An irrevocable trust pays it's own income  taxes ...so have you filed returns in the past correctly ?  As already mentioned does the trust even allow for the distribution or require it.  If you are asking this question then you need to find the answers ... seek local assistance if needed. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

if certain criteria are met, even a supposedly irrevocable trust, is for income tax purposes treated as a grantor trust.  this means that for income tax purposes the trust is ignored and all the income is taxed to the grantor.   so it would make no difference as to whether or not the income is distributed or reinvested. Get professional guidance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies