turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self employed

I am contracted out for work and get paid directly to my bank account without any deductions. Is there a form I can fill out to show proof of income for the purpose of court? How much do I have to make self employed to report to IRS? I also provide dog boarding services and they store all payments on an app called “Rover” I believe they offer the 1099 app, how much do I have to make to report to IRS? As you can read I am self employed AND have two sources of income. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

Self employed

I understand you are self employed.   You usually must pay self-employment tax if you had net earnings from self-employment of $400 or more.  You report your self-employed income and expenses on Schedule C, as part of your tax return.

The Schedule C would be documentation most third parties would accept for proof of income.  

In January 2023, Rover will provide you with a 2022 Form 1099-NEC for amount paid to you in 2022, if over $600.  You will use this Form 1099-NEC to report on your Schedule C as part of your tax return.

Be sure to keep receipts for any business receipts to reduce your business income.

Here is a great source for your self-employed work.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/reporting-self-employment-business-income...

Hope this helps!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

Self employed

I understand you are self employed.   You usually must pay self-employment tax if you had net earnings from self-employment of $400 or more.  You report your self-employed income and expenses on Schedule C, as part of your tax return.

The Schedule C would be documentation most third parties would accept for proof of income.  

In January 2023, Rover will provide you with a 2022 Form 1099-NEC for amount paid to you in 2022, if over $600.  You will use this Form 1099-NEC to report on your Schedule C as part of your tax return.

Be sure to keep receipts for any business receipts to reduce your business income.

Here is a great source for your self-employed work.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/reporting-self-employment-business-income...

Hope this helps!

JaredS_CPA
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Self employed

Hello Kierrabgreen98,

Thank you for participating in the Ask the Experts Event. As to your question, being self-employed there are two taxes you need to be aware of--income tax and the self-employment tax. For your income tax, if your business net income at the end of the tax year is going to be more than your standard or itemized deduction then you could have taxable income.

For the self-employment tax, you will have to pay 15.2% of your net income regardless of your deductions. The self-employment tax is something those new to self-employment are always surprised about, but it isn't something new. When you are a W-2 employee your employer withholds 7.65% from your paycheck for social security and medicare and then matches that amount where the total submitted to the government is 15.2% on your behalf.

Being self-employed, you are considered both the employee and employer which is why that tax is 15.2%. However, you are able to deduct half of that amount from your income and you could also receive a 20% deduction for QBI (Qualified Business Income), both of which will reduce your taxable income.

Either way, if you project to have business net income and taxable income, it is a good idea to make estimated quarterly tax payments throughout the year. You can do so at this link.

So, to summarize, if you have net business income you will need to file a return to report the self-employment tax, but you may not have to pay any income tax if that net income is less than your deduction.

As to your question about proof of income for the courts, you will need to ask what type of proof they accept. It could be a tax return or bank statement, but there is no other form other than your tax return that would be available.

I hope that helps.

SuziM

Self employed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies