turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E
Level 2

schedule k-1 Box 16 entry issue

My Schedule K-1, Box 16 has codes A, B, C, E, F, G, I, J, L, M, N, P, and Q. I got error message (and can't resolve it) when TurboTax perform "Smart Check". It says... "Box 16 Description has been entered for more than one type of income. Use separate K-1 worksheets to report more than one type of foreign gross income sourced at the entry level" . 

I have no idea what to do here. Does it means that I have to enter a separate K-1 for each code (total 12 worksheet)? Experts Please help! I am so tired of trying to resolve it now. Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

you need 3 k-1 to enter the info

you see you have 3 categories of foreign income - foreign branch, passive and general and each must be entered on its own form 1116. whether its worth the effort I leave to you 

code A - each K-1

code B  - each k-1

code C - doesn't get entered if you are a US resident otherwise enter on each k-1

codes I and J need to be allocated based on codes E, F, and G and entered on their respective k-1's

codes P & Q should be allocated by category as specified on the K-1 and entered accordingly on your k-1's

category - foreign branch - codes E and L go on one 1 k-1 along with the apportioned amounts for I and J and the FTC for this category from P and Q

category - passive - codes F and M go on the second k-1 along with the apportioned amounts for I and J and the FTC for this category from P and Q

category - general - codes G and D go on the 3rd K-1 along with the apportioned amounts for I and J and the FTC for this category from P and Q

technically you must choose between foreign taxes paid code P and those accrued code Q. you are not supposed to take both types in the same year.

if there is only one category of Foreign Taxes (ie P or Q)  then you only need 1 k-1 and enter the items only for that category

if your total of foreign taxes is $300 or less if single, head of household, or married filing separate or $600 or less if filing joint form 1116 is not required.

E
Level 2

@Mike9241, thank you for your help. 

I wish the tax code can be simplified to make my life a bit easier when doing tax return every year. I wish the issuer of Schedule K-1 can provide and include more "real world how-to" explanation when they mail out their Schedule K-1 package.

I also wish TurboTax's software is able to intelligently decode the complexity of Box 16 for its user.

Thanks again, Mike9241.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies