turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejection error IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records.

Hello,

I'm filing for my parents for 2020 as MFJ but my father died in 2020. I imported everything from Turbotax 2019 which had my father as the primary taxpayer. Only my mother esigned with her pin.  When the returns were submitted I get the error stated in the subject line. I verified the AGI and resent. Same error. I read some posts and they said to change the AGI to 0. I did and still got rejected. Could the error mean my father's pin from 2019 when he was primary does not match my mother's who was the only one that esigned in 2020? As a triple check I ordered the return transcript from the IRS but it will take 5-10 days since my parents don't have credit cards or mortgages.

Some posts also say to make my mother the primary taxpayer for 2020 but not sure that is correct. Please assist. Unfortunately with the amount of Covid deaths in 2020, this may become a popular question.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
by33

Rejection error IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records.

I had same problem, my husband died in 2020, was rejected by fed for AGI, got information from IRS, my AGI was correct, ended up filing by mail.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Yes. Error IND-031-04 indicates that the AGI or Self-select PIN from last year for the first taxpayer doesn't match IRS records.

Since you entered ​​​​​​​the full 2019 adjusted gross income (AGI) amount from their last year's return (which is correct), the problem is with your father's PIN. You are not supposed to allocate or split the AGI, as this will cause a rejection.

Please see TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN ...

@kelvin8888ng

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Lena,

I entered my mother's pin not my father since he is deceased and not allowed to sign. Can you please revise your answer?

TY

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you are still getting the error after entering the correct Adjusted Gross Income (AGI), then the problem is with the self-select PIN you entered from last year. 

Please see TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN ...

I am sorry for your loss.

@kelvin8888ng

Mikey991
Returning Member

Error IND-031-04

My In laws filed manually last year, would they not have a pin and I should use "0"?   

My father in law passed in July 2021 and I'm helping my mother in law do the return on TT and get this error even after confirming the proper AGI from their paper copy.   I'm asking for a transcript from the IRS to see if their AGI is different.   

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Please visit the TurboTax Help article below for information on how to correct this rejection.

What AGI should I enter if I'm recently divorced o...

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Please visit the TurboTax Help article below for information to help resolve this rejection.

What AGI should I enter if I'm recently divorced o...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies