Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received a 1099-INT from IRS but I don't recognize the Payer's EIN. So it looks like error form. I never had INT. What do I need to do to tell IRS as I need to report it

The issue is I have never ever had income from interest. I investigated the Payer's EIN. and found the name of the company and address registered officially in FL. However, the information doesn't include ph number, email, or website. So I have no way to contact this company quickly. What's more, the address is a private residence as it looks from Google Maps. I belie this is fishy. Tried to look up info of such letters on the IRS website bu to no success.   And I have already filed my taxes. In the 109-INT letter from IRS it reads I need to file the amount stated as an income. What would be the best course of action in my case?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Received a 1099-INT from IRS but I don't recognize the Payer's EIN. So it looks like error form. I never had INT. What do I need to do to tell IRS as I need to report it

You might want to order an IRS transcript that could reflect the transaction, since you’re suspicious of the income’s origin.

A Tax Account Transcript would probably be helpful.  And, you can order it online, which may be much preferable to calling the IRS during the filing season.

Please see Transcript Types and Ways to Order Them for guidance.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

if the IRS was tardy in issuing your 2020 refund, it is required by law to pay you interest. the interest would have been included with the refund. it is taxable. if the first two EIN numbers are 38 and the last 4 are 8424, it's probably what I indicated above. I don't know if it uses other EINs 

you should be worried more if it isn't from the IRS.  that form has your SSN which would mean it could be on the dark web and you are a victim of identity theft. 

you could call the IRS or check your IRS transcript to verify. 

if the IRS was tardy in issuing your 2020 refund, it is required by law to pay you interest. the interest would have been included with the refund. it is taxable. if the first two EIN numbers are 38 and the last 4 are 8424, it's the IRS though I don't know if it has other EINs 

Thank you for your reply.

I will definable call IRS. 

My refund came at the end of February last year. So I do not think the IRS was tardy in this case. 

Did you cash in any I- or EE-bonds at a  Bank last year?

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

None whatsoever! 

Yeah...sounds fishy.

..another strange spitballed idea....any inheritance from someone in Florida the past couple years? A filed tax return for the deceased could definitely have processing delays resulting in some interest, and perhaps you were  the beneficiary of such interest in some way.  Whoever is handling the estate should have let you know what's going on...but all kinds of confusions and mixups can happen with estate tax handling.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

My only option is to call the IRS and see what their version of the story is. But calling the IRS is easier said then done 

Ive never had problems calling the IRS and Ive been doing it for 50 years . . . not saying I always get the correct answer but I almost always do and I've never had any problems with IRS employees or the system itself. Sometimes it's either to complicated for an answer or they just cannot tell you how to fill out a form. But it's never been unpleasant.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You might want to order an IRS transcript that could reflect the transaction, since you’re suspicious of the income’s origin.

A Tax Account Transcript would probably be helpful.  And, you can order it online, which may be much preferable to calling the IRS during the filing season.

Please see Transcript Types and Ways to Order Them for guidance.

Thank you, I'd definitely try it 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies