turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Program updates - download version 2019

Intuit does not give a Tinker's D@m what it's customers want.  That's what gives.

I went back to TT this year from having a CPA do them for me the past two years.  If this thread indicates the direction they are heading I am going to look at other options next year.  I discovered a free online filing that's pretty good called FreeTaxUSA . I quickly went through filling out my federal with them, after having already e-filed with TT, just to see how close the numbers were before I deleted it.  TT was about $60 higher on my federal refund and about $2 more on my state tax owed.  As I said, I went through the FreeTaxUSA steps rather quickly, so I probably missed a few items.  

Anyway, federal filing is free and state is only $14.99.  I have FreeTaxUSA bookmarked for serious consideration next year.

I had the same issue and find the TT expert answers also BS.  What I've discovered is the folks who work on a forum, the ones you 'chat' with and the ones who answer the phones are different groups, so if they tell you to 'call', they get rid of you onto someone else.

Like many here, I already filed and would like to know what changed.

However the actual answer is that turbotax doesn't want to say what mistakes they fixed, as that may expose them to liability.

I had trouble getting Turbo Tax to open, when it did it would try to down load the updates, then it would just crash.  I called turbo tax 3 times. Each time I got a little hint what could be wrong.  Then I noticed a little app on my computer called BeeAware.  When I investigated this app I found out that it was a virus.  I went through and removed all its pieces.  When I did this I found out it’s not TurboTax problem but a computer problem.  Now I don’t know how anyone from TurboTax would know about this.  TurboTax works, believe that and if it doesn’t it’s your computer.

Well that'd be really interesting if it had anything whatsoever to do with the topic you're responding to, but it doesn't.

For Myldon:

First, your post is completely off point of this discussion.   This is not about TurboTax itself not working; it is about Intuit's failure to provide release notes when they issue a program or tax forms update(s).

Second, just because you practice poor computer hygiene, it does not mean everyone else does.   Your post is so blatantly slanted, you sound like a shill for the company.

To  Myldon

Your virus issue has nothing to do with the issue in this thread, which is that TurboTax is not telling its users what changes are included in a software update, even when the update is classified by TurboTax as "Critical".  Many of us, including long-time T and experienced computer users, have had and continue to have this problem and concern.  So, it is not us, nor our computers, but the program itself.

@Reggieng 

Please tweet your concerns to @YourVoiceAtIRS

Thanks for noting.  I am reaching out to IRS contacts on LinkedIn but given the times, hard to get attention.  

Mylon,

Please keep on topic. We know howw a computer works and whta malware are. Most here are computer literate and use the latest version of windows or else AND have anti virus.

I am a software developer and will re-iterate what the issue is here:

ANY software development team issues release notes to indicate what they fixed. THEY MUST do that to comunicate internally and turning over software releases over the test/quality control team. So that means TT managers have decided NOT to reformat critical changes that are known internally  and pass them on to their customers. They beleive if there is an issue we, customers,  will just have to  deal with IRS. they dont sem to graps the fat that us could actually check on these relase and also do some quality control on our return to their benefit! If we find an issue we would certainly tell them. However they leaves us in the dark.

This is the most outreagous no response to a very simple problem to solve from TT. and it is very concerning  for the future. I am actively looking for an alternative next year. I loved TT and this kills me but that kind of customer treatment is a bridge too far. What other shoe will drop next year?

To everyone who would like to know what changed after filing (or completing your return and are waiting to file), it is not that hard to see what changed. Print out the return(s) with all worksheets (actually save as a pdf, you never want to print out the "records" version), then open the program shortly before the deadline, let it update, and don't change anything. Print out another copy with all worksheets and compare the two versions.

While this could be tedious, start by checking a few key amounts--taxable income, AGI, Tax calculations, bottom line numbers on the forms that get filed, etc., then scan the list of bookmarks to see if there are any new pages. This may narrow the changes down and indicate whether something critical has changed. Most updates at this point are to fix programming bugs that may only affect a few people. If main forms are all the same you don't have anything to worry about. If there are differences, you have the worksheets to find the changes that affect you. If necessary, then you can file an amended return and mail it in.

@jlw0003  that would work, but their lack of attention, unwillingness to address and incorrect responses, all smack of negligence disregard for rules and regulations of the IRS.  You can't reasonably expect the average consumer to do what you are suggesting.  People like me will vote with their $$ next year.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jlw0003 Please stop with these nonsense answers

@TaxGeek2 I don't disagree with you. Vote your confidence by moving on to another product. Or do taxes by hand--ugh!

It is not a reasonable thing to have to do. Imagine a CPA saying that to a (last) client! But spending a lot of time complaining on this thread is not going to fix anything. No one who can do anything about it is listening. BTW, back in the day when TT did post the updates it was just as tedious to go through their list to find things that might have changed in your return.

I'm just trying to present a constructive solution to people so they can get on with their lives and stop worrying about taxes. Many more important things to worry about--COVID-19 comes to mind. Or maybe because of that, people have more time now since they aren't working and can think of more fun stuff--like taxes!

Personally, I am right now trying to dissect the program to find out where all the answers to the interview questions go on the many various forms that feed into Form 8582 (Passive Activity Losses). Fun--if you like solving jigsaw puzzles and tracing wiring diagrams. Don't know what I would do if Congress ever simplified taxes.

To jlw0003:

Of, course that works as a contingency measure as long a TurboTax continues to be unresponsive.  But, why should anyone need to do that when the answer lies with TuboTax simply adhering to good software development processes that capture the changes (as addressed in other posts) and make that information available to its users?  What you describe can be a significant time commitment (and, hopefully, a waste of time), which should be totally unnecessary if TorboTax would just do the normal and right thing.

For jlw0003:

Are you another shill for Intuit?   I PAY for a program to do this for me.   If Intuit won't, or can't be bothered, to fulfill this role, then I won't be bothering them to buy their program again.  TurboTax is NOT the only game in town, something Intuit seems to either not know or has forgotten.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies