turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Problem entering numbers into TurboTzx

Software will not allow me to enter property tax value into field.  I was able to enter my social security numbers without a problem.  These are the only numbers I've tried to enter.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Joe_CT 

No.....the "$0"  (in the desktop software)is a software bug I've complained about to TTX in the past two years , but never acknowledged by TTX.

(Naturally, there could be other issues with the Sched A...but I've had no problems entering Prop Taxes in test files).  And, Of course, the Schedule A won't show up in your actual forms until the total of all the itemized deductions you've entered so far, actually exceed your allowed Std Deduction .

Whenever you see that "$0"  (an actual zero)...a "Supporting Details" sheet is attached to that entry, usually transferred in from last year, but after the actual $$ entries were stripped out.

Problem is that TTX reprogrammed that page such that the "Supporting Details"  page doesn't pop up like it used to...so several ways to work around  it until they get it fixed (been reported).

___

Here's what I think is happening...and how to fix it  (in #4 below).

1)  In 2018 you added "Supporting Details" to each of those fields where you encounter a locked "$0"...probably to describe  when & how paid it in some prior year.

2)  The Supporting Details sheets (empty) transferred into your 2019 file from your 2018 file.

3)  The Supporting Details are supposed to pop up as soon as you attempt to enter a value during the Interview...but it doesn't.  (Software Bug)

4) Workarounds  : 

4a)  double-click in the field and the Supporting Details sheet pops up and you can either delete it (hit the big red "X"), and now make an entry...or you can use the SuppDetails worksheet to enter your $$....OR...

4b)   Put your cursor in the box, and then go to the top menu on the screen and click on <Edit....then <<Add Supporting Details from the drop-down menu.  IF the SuppDet box shows up you can either add your entry in there...or hit the Red "X" to delete the whole SupDet worksheet and then make your normal entry.....or...

4c)  Put your cursor on the box....switch to Forms Mode...., and enter the payment  directly in the worksheet.   You can also delete the Supporting Details sheet entirely (look for the REMOVE "X" when it pops up)..once that is done, you can make entries using the interview again..

(been reported too, but might take weeks to fix...or never since we've heard nothing yet)

and there are other places ..like Medical Expenses, and Federal Quarterly Estimated  Tax Payments...where the same "$0" issue "might" pop up...but only if you used ti in the past.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Does the line show  a "$0" and not a simple "$" 

I Have a solution for that one.

But make sure you only enter them once.  If you have a mortgage and it was entered with your 1098 data, don't enter it again.

But if you are paying outside of the Mortgage...then that "Property Taxes" section is needed.  ( a "$0" in that field suggests you did use it in prior years ) 

The "$0" bug can show up in several areas....it that is indeed what you are seeing.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks for your suggestions.  The box I'm having the problem with has a $0.

I'm now being told by TurboTax that the problem is Schedule A has not been released yet.  It was due to be released on 1/17/202 but based on my experience it still isn't released for use on TurboTax.  

I'll wait a few more days to see what happens.

@Joe_CT 

No.....the "$0"  (in the desktop software)is a software bug I've complained about to TTX in the past two years , but never acknowledged by TTX.

(Naturally, there could be other issues with the Sched A...but I've had no problems entering Prop Taxes in test files).  And, Of course, the Schedule A won't show up in your actual forms until the total of all the itemized deductions you've entered so far, actually exceed your allowed Std Deduction .

Whenever you see that "$0"  (an actual zero)...a "Supporting Details" sheet is attached to that entry, usually transferred in from last year, but after the actual $$ entries were stripped out.

Problem is that TTX reprogrammed that page such that the "Supporting Details"  page doesn't pop up like it used to...so several ways to work around  it until they get it fixed (been reported).

___

Here's what I think is happening...and how to fix it  (in #4 below).

1)  In 2018 you added "Supporting Details" to each of those fields where you encounter a locked "$0"...probably to describe  when & how paid it in some prior year.

2)  The Supporting Details sheets (empty) transferred into your 2019 file from your 2018 file.

3)  The Supporting Details are supposed to pop up as soon as you attempt to enter a value during the Interview...but it doesn't.  (Software Bug)

4) Workarounds  : 

4a)  double-click in the field and the Supporting Details sheet pops up and you can either delete it (hit the big red "X"), and now make an entry...or you can use the SuppDetails worksheet to enter your $$....OR...

4b)   Put your cursor in the box, and then go to the top menu on the screen and click on <Edit....then <<Add Supporting Details from the drop-down menu.  IF the SuppDet box shows up you can either add your entry in there...or hit the Red "X" to delete the whole SupDet worksheet and then make your normal entry.....or...

4c)  Put your cursor on the box....switch to Forms Mode...., and enter the payment  directly in the worksheet.   You can also delete the Supporting Details sheet entirely (look for the REMOVE "X" when it pops up)..once that is done, you can make entries using the interview again..

(been reported too, but might take weeks to fix...or never since we've heard nothing yet)

and there are other places ..like Medical Expenses, and Federal Quarterly Estimated  Tax Payments...where the same "$0" issue "might" pop up...but only if you used ti in the past.

Tried again using your suggested step 4A.   Worked as you said.  Last year's supporting details sheet popped up.  Filled it in and problem solved.  Most appreciated.  Conversely, I'm now wary of asking TurboTax for help.

The "$0" problem seems to appear in fields with a supporting details table attached from a previous return. The only solution I've found is 3 or 4 rapid clicks using the left mouse button to activate the supporting details box. Then you can enter the appropriate values.

nancy230
Returning Member

I cant enter an amount when I see that blue balloon.

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

Are you in the mobile app or online?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

• I cannot get my numbers to print in my turbotax program
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies