Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Please bring back the running total refund/tax due at the top of the screen

@jgoleb See this TurboTax support FAQ for the refund/taxes owed indicator used with the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/customer-complaints/dont-see-tracker-sho...

I'm not sure why some people say it still works for them. Perhaps they started their taxes early, before the feature was removed, and it is still there for them. For whatever reason it is gone now for most of us and needs to return.

Having it only during the Federal Review is not really helpful.  It's not a feature or tool at that point, it's just a summary of what you owe or what you will get as a refund. It's like the most basic part of doing your taxes. I understand some people might be confused about it, but it's easier to educate them how it works then to dumb down the whole process. Next year I will be looking for alternatives unless this feature is back.

As a former IRS Revenue Agent, I thing this change is the best thing to happen.  I don't know how many times during an audit of a taxpayer who used TurboTax who would falsify report income or deductions because of the running total.  Taxpayers have told me that they didn't report W2 income because the amount of tax due went up.  Or after seeing the tax due go down or refund amount go up after adding a deduction.  I remember several times where a taxpayer would deduct $200,000 or $300,000 as charitable contributions simply because they saw the refund amount go up.   

Horrible take.  If anything that's on TurboTax for not having guardrails on Charitable Donation amounts entered.  Shouldn't remove the primary feature of the service just because its makes agents jobs more difficult (think of all the penalties and interest the gvt is earning!!).

I used charitable contributions as an example.  Taxpayers would use other Schedule A deductions to lower their tax due or increase the refund.  It doesn't take rocket science to notice that as you add deductions the tax due goes down or refund goes up that a dishonest person begins to add deductions, even if they are bogus. 

Dishonest people will be dishonest either way.  Tbf, 90% of people should not have file taxes at all. If you only have a W2 and 1099s the IRS should just automatically refund/bill you, with the option to contest it.  individuals needing to file is whats actually is opening this up for opportunists.  But I digress…

BTW got it to pop up in the top left after “completing” my federal return.  Horrible UX, but it’s there.

You can thank TurboTax and H&R Block for that.  Years ago the US Government wanted to go to that type of system where the Government would send the W2 & 1099 info to the taxpayer.  If everything was correct the taxpayer sign and return for with tax due or would receive the refund.  They also could complete Schedule A for other deductions not reported to the government.  The tax prep industry didn't like this proposal and fought to keep the requirement for everyone to file returns.  The industry also promised "free" tax service for low income or simple returns.  We know how that turned out.   Good luck Happy Tax Day!   

I agree!!!! this is a vital part of and one feature i liked about turbo tax

You have to enter all of your income, credits, and deductions and then review and it should appear.

taxlady28... thanks, but you just explained the "new" way that total can be viewed, as others have before you. Much of this thread is about wanting the feature changed back to "how it used to be" from those of us that have used TurboTax for many years and are used to seeing the running total at the early stages - while entering data in the various sections - instead of this new method where we need to get near the very end to see the total. 

I doubt it will come back because so many people did not understand and thought that their refund was the first number they saw.

MISSING REFUND MONITOR

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/customer-complaints/dont-see-tracker-sho...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You're probably right... best to "dumb down" everything to protect the stupid! I would have preferred an "advanced user" option allowing those of us that want it to turn that feature back on, but thanks to idiots, that will probably never happen. Sharp knives shouldn't be available for sale either, nor stoves that get hot enough to burn someone. 

I like the label on my blowdryer that says not to use it in the bathtub.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies