turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Overpayment - apply to 2020 estimated taxes

I have a refund for my 2019 Federal return.  I want to receive part of it and i want to apply part of it to my 2020 estimated tax payments.  I have looked on line and simply can't find this magic jumpto button.

Can someone please guide me through this preferably using the open forms method?

Thanks

As an aside and this is just my non-professional impression.  I have been using TT for almost 20 years.  Turbo Tax seems to be getting less and less flexible.  Trying to find links to things runs into dead ends. (Whine)  I try not to take myself too seriously.  So it certainly could be an incorrect impression.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DoninGA
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

To add, change or delete a current year federal tax refund to next year's taxes before you file your tax return -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Under Additional Tax Payments
  • On Apply Refund to Next Year, click on the start or update button

Or enter apply federal refund to next year in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to apply federal refund to next year

The amount applied to next years taxes will be shown on Form 1040 Line 22

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DoninGA
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

To add, change or delete a current year federal tax refund to next year's taxes before you file your tax return -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Under Additional Tax Payments
  • On Apply Refund to Next Year, click on the start or update button

Or enter apply federal refund to next year in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to apply federal refund to next year

The amount applied to next years taxes will be shown on Form 1040 Line 22

Thanks - it worked.

I used TurboTax Deluxe version this year (2019 Jt. Return) as I have every year since it was originally MacinTax.

This year I electronically filed wayback in Feb. 2020 and all went well.  Other than having to fill in two diver's license data (which I thought odd) it was accepted - both Federal & State - and I received a refund in a few weeks after.  I never reviewed the printed worksheets until late when I got a letter from the IRS explaining why my refund had been REDUCED because they deleted the amount on "Federal Carry Over Worksheet" that said on p. 2 , line 8 of the worksheet I had over $ 1K Federal Overpayment applied to next year estimated tax.

I don't know where this info came from and, apparently, neither does the IRS.  I did not apply anything from 2018 Federal return to 2019 estimated taxes.  I only used 2018 TurboTax to calculate my estimated tax payments for 2019 and used that indo to make my estimated tax deposits throughout 2019.  

And those estimated quarterly tax payments is all the IRS used while deleting the $$$$ that TurboTax put on line 8, page 2 of the Federal overpayment applied to next year, e.g., 2018 to 2019 estimated taxes.

Since I knew/know that I didn't use any overpayment from 2018 return to pay estimated taxes I can't figure out how TurboTax came up with that data that was also applied to page 6 of the Tax Payments Worksheet.

Please review your IT logic for 2019 Deluxe version as I believe there is an error in the logic.  my records show that for 2018 that I owed over $1800 and paid that amount to the treasury by check on 4/14/2019. 

i.e, NO OVERPAYMENT from my previous return which the current return captured before working on this year's.   

I would appreciate a response after INTUIT/TurboTax team has a chance to look into the problem logic.

Phil Probst   

[phone number removed] or [phone number removed] (Mobile w/ texting)

1935 E. Derby Ct., Martinsville, IN  46151

cheryl1nc

should allow for %

trf3

I am looking for help with a STATE tax return for a Trust.  How do I apply a refund to 2020 estimated taxes on the State return?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies