turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Oregon is requiring people to pay a state tax on their stimulus checks. Is that reflected in the Turbo Tax program???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Oregon is requiring people to pay a state tax on their stimulus checks. Is that reflected in the Turbo Tax program???

Yes.  The state of Oregon does not tax the stimulus payments or rebate credits directly.  Oregon reduces your taxable income by your federal tax liability.   But they make adjustments to that reduction.  Your stimulus payment(s) and the recovery rebate (if you did not receive your full payments) are subtractions to your federal tax liability number on your Oregon state return.  So, the reduction to taxable income is less which equates to a higher taxable Oregon income.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DonnaBoehm1994
Returning Member

Is that automatically reflected in turbo tax or do I have to do something else to show it besides where I put it ont he federal info?

Please confirm that Turbo Tax is reflecting the stimulus money we received in the OR Form 40.  I don't see stimulus mentioned or any numbers reflecting the amount I received. Oregon is saying we owe tax on the stimulus money. I want to get this right before filing. Thanks.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Your federal tax liability subtraction is reduced by a factor of your stimulus check, based on the Oregon tax rates. When you print out your tax return, you will see the Oregon Federal Tax Liability Subtraction Worksheet  that will list the adjustment on line 8.

guyhavingtaxfun
Returning Member

Not if your federal tax liability is high enough.  See my posting on this and/or look at the Fed Tax Liab WS in the Oregon forms. 

guyhavingtaxfun
Returning Member

Check out the Fed Tax Liab WS in the Oregon forms.    You can still get the stimulus AND receive the $6950 deduction if your fed taxes where high enough. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have similar questions. For Oregon state filing, Do I need to enter anything into Turbotax if I received stimulus checks? or is this automatically taken into consideration? 

If I need to enter it, during which step do I enter this income? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also I am unable to edit line 30 on form 1040 in order to enter the amount of the stimulus checks. it simply is not editable 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Yes. You will need to enter the stimulus payments you received for calculation of the Recovery Rebate Credit, as well as for your Oregon state return.

Please follow these steps in TurboTax to enter your stimulus payments:

1. With your return open, search for stimulus with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  2. Select the Jump to Stimulus in the search results to directly go to correct TurboTax page.
  3. Make sure to enter 0 for the either stimulus payment not received. 

@Anonymous

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am unable to edit line 30 - on form 1040 - where stimulus is entered. I am also unable to edit certain areas on the worksheet. @LenaH 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@Anonymous To adjust your stimulus amounts in TurboTax Online, please do the following:

• Type stimulus in Search in the upper right
  • Click Jump to stimulus
  • Say Yes on It looks like you qualified for the stimulus, did you get any payments?
  • Check/edit the amounts shown

If you are not able to change the numbers:

• Click Tax Tools in the left column
  • Click Tools
  • Select Delete a Form in Tools Center
  • Scroll down to Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet. Click Delete. Then Continue With My Return.
  • Follow the first set of instructions. The stimulus boxes should be blank.

​​​​​​​If you entered the correct stimulus payments, the Oregon section of TurboTax will take those into account in computing your OR tax liability. You do not have to make any adjustments.

Relate Resource:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ErnieS0 i am using TurboTax for Mac

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Try these steps to edit your stimulus amount:

1. Go to the search box and enter stimulus. Click the Jump to link.
  2. Answer Yes.
  3. At the next screen, Let's double-check the amount you received, answer No to edit the first-round and second-round amounts.
  4. If no stimulus amount was received, enter 0. An amount should be entered in each box. When finished, click Continue.

When using your Mac in TurboTax CD/Download, go to Forms Mode. To see the stimulus payment impact, follow these steps:

• Scroll down under Oregon Individual and find Fed Tax Liab Wk and Form 40. Open each of these.
    • Fed Tax Liab Wk calculates if the Federal Tax Liability is more or less than the maximum allowed tax liability subtraction. For 2020, only $6,950 of federal income taxes is subtracted from Federal Adjusted Gross Income. 
      • The form reduces the Federal Tax Liability by the amount of the stimulus credit to equal Line 10 on the Fed Tax Liab Wk for Oregon.
      • This amount is compared to $6,950 on Line 11. Whichever is less, Line 10 or Line 11, is then subtracted on Form 40, Line 10.

For the full Oregon individual income tax instructions, see: 2020 Publication OR-17, Oregon Individual Income Tax Guide, 150-101-431

@Anonymous

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KathrynG3 If I search stimulus it doesn't take me anywhere. I have no option to enter my stimulus payments I received. I am using Turbo Tax Deluxe for Mac. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies