Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ryo1

I paid additional medicare tax to my employer that was required, but did not reflect on my W2. Do I need to wait for corrected W2 or can enter on my return somewhere?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I paid additional medicare tax to my employer that was required, but did not reflect on my W2. Do I need to wait for corrected W2 or can enter on my return somewhere?

I'm not quite sure what has happened.

• Did you have to repay money back to your employer, or
  • Did you have an income that required you to pay The Additional Medicare Tax.
    • Married filing jointly $250,000
    • Married filing separate $125,000
    • Single $200,000
    • Head of household (with qualifying person) $200,000

Based on the second alternative, this should be posted to Box 5 of your W-2.

It will not affect your tax return; however, you want to be sure that it was paid.  Please confirm this with your employer.

In this instance, you can file your 2022 tax return.

If I've misunderstood your question, and this does not completely answer it, please contact us again and provide some additional details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ryo1

My employer calculated extra medicare and med surtax I had to pay as part of a bonus.  It was outside of normal payroll so I wrote my employer a check  and they then paid the tax on my behalf.  My W2 doesn’t reflect this extra tax I paid, so can I enter somewhere on my return I paid this or do I have to get/wait for a corrected W2?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

There is no other way to enter the Medicare tax other than the w-2 or calculated in self-employment.  

• Was the bonus included in the W-2?  If so, the Medicare payment should also be.
  • Where you issued a 1099-MISC for the bonus.  If so, it should have been entered as self-employment and the Medicare would be calculated separately.
  • I'm not sure why your employer had you pay out of pocket, and did the employer pay his half?

I'm sorry!  I'm giving you more questions than answers, but I don't understand the circumstance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies