Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

On Windows 10, TurboTax 2019 - Updater gets stuck on "Waiting for the installer service"

WOW glad I am not the only one ! 

Is there anything they can do for us ? Since we can not complete the use for the software we have paid for ??

On Windows 10, TurboTax 2019 - Updater gets stuck on "Waiting for the installer service"

Sadly when something breaks it can take  a few days to recognise the problem, research a correction and implement it... including having FAQs for the phone support to work off of.  Many times OS updates mess with the TT program and WIN 10 is famous for breaking things ... running an OS update and rebooting at least twice to install them completely will often work out the bugs. 

Unfortunately there is no solution. You can spend hours on the phone but no still no help. Found this link which is showing some of the forms for NY state are still unsupported (not updated) https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_ny_online_individual.html

I guess we have to wait until this is complete. Interested to know what other users are doing to file NY state taxes as this product is useless!

"...a few days...." I have been trying to get this corrected for over a month now! IT IS NO NEARER RESOLUTION THAN WHEN I STARTED! Enough is enough! I want my money back and my subscription cancelled!

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

I have listed a link below for assistance with this issue:

Updates for TurboTax CD/Download will not install on Windows 10

For additional assistance , you can call TurboTax and speak with an agent.  TurboTax customer service/support does not have a single phone number but has many different phone numbers based on the type of platform used.  So that we can direct your call to the best person/department to help you:

1. Click on this link: Contact Us
  2. Select your TurboTax platform.  
  3. Ask your question / state your problem.  Do NOT use the word "refund' or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.
  4. Click Submit.
  5. On the next screen, choose the Call option and follow the instructions.  You will be given the approximate wait time.  

You'll get a toll-free number to a TurboTax expert who is specially-trained to handle your particular issue.

"Irene2805 Employee Tax Expert"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

LOL!

John116

hmmm, let's see.  the government provides the form.  the states provide the form.  
how hard is it to write a program to let you complete and fill out the form?
the horrible horrible fiasco turbo tax is having this year seems to indicate this will be their last year.
there is no excuse for any of this.
i paid $50 for the desktop verison and THEN paid $20 to electronically file state. IT NEVER TRANSMITTED EITHER RETURN.  But they still took my money BEFORE they did NOTHING.   That makes them crooks.  What else do you call it when they take your money and give you nothing?!
So, then, they said 'use their online portal' and the activation code would work when it came time to file there so i wouldn't be charged twice.
Again, they make you pay before they transmit the file.  i geve them my credit card and they billed me $80 and took nothing off for the valid activation code i entered from the desktop verion.  so i did NOT transit my returns!  THEY STILL TOOK THE MONEY!
I strongly suggest everyone check out creditkarma dot com.  they let you file for free and state return file for free too.  BTW h&r block also does both for free.  turbo tax is also supposed to be free for people in my situaltion tax bracket.  they are breaking the law there too.  crooks!

Look at Thor88. This person, I think, has come up with a simple fix that works. NO THANKS TO TT AND THEIR "EXPERTS!"

Subject

Update not working

Author:

Thor88

Date:

December 16, 2019 6:11 PM

SOLVED (possibly) : I use Windows 10 x64, so on the TurboTax shortcut icon on my computer desktop I right clicked and chose the option to 'Troubleshoot Compatibility', and I chose to run the program as Administrator. That seems to have solved this, as a successful update ensued. Hopefully this is all that was the issue, as frustrating as it was to get to this solution. Perhaps Intuit / TurboTax should add this solution as something for people to try that have this same issue.

ggibas45
Returning Member

I had problems with the installation hanging and did something similar to Thor88 to fix it.

I cancelled out of the installation after waiting an hour for it to complete and rebooted.  After the reboot I had a desktop icon for TT 2019, so I right clicked and started as administrator.  TT tried to complete the installation and issued a message stating it was already installed.  An option was to Remove TT.  I selected it and was given two options, one was to repair TT and the other was to uninstall it.  I selected the repair option, and it successfully did the repair.  When TT started it said it was the Basic version and not the Deluxe version I purchased, and then did some updates.  After the updates it shutdown, and when I restarted it and provided the activation code, it became the Deluxe version.  Hope this is of some help to others having installation problems.  If I purchase TT next year, it will be with the CD, but I think it is time to move on to another product.

I agree it is time to move to another product. I have used TT since 2006 (14 years) and I have NEVER had this much difficulty with the software. We should NOT have to jump through so many hoops to get their product to work. And the help you get from their so called "experts" is laughable!

I just wanted to thank the post on Jan 9th with the correct answer... PS: This happened to me last year as well.

Go to the Jan 9th post and look for the manual download file link.

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

There is only so much we can do through the forums. If you are having software issues, the best point of contact would be calling customer care.  Please click here to get in contact with customer care.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jawabunga

For anyone still dealing with this, here's what ultimately worked for me:  I went into my x86 Programs File and deleted the TurboTax folder.  Note that you must do this EVEN if you've uninstalled TTX.  Even after a complete uninstall, a remnant folder still sits in the x86 Programs File.  Something either hidden in this remnant folder or just the existence of the folder itself was causing the update feature to hang-up.  I am running Windows 10.   Steps:

1.  If you can, make sure any TTX 1040 & State returns are saved someplace (e.g., My Documents).

2.  Uninstall TTX.

3.  On your c: drive, find x86 Programs folder and delete "TurboTax" folder.

4.  Re-install TTX. (It won't count as another user count as long as its the same computer).

5.  I was able to open TTX immediately, but you may need to reboot.

Once I did this, TTX worked great and carried over my 2018 stuff into 2019 just fine.  Good luck!

g8rgirl72

Thanks, @rbruno303, this solution worked for me.  Uninstalling KB4534132 worked like a charm...for now.  😉

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies