Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On my state tax return, where do I enter the payment I made with the extension I filed earlier in the year?

I've gone through a few different state returns and cannot find where I enter the tax extension payment made outside of Turbotax
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On my state tax return, where do I enter the payment I made with the extension I filed earlier in the year?

Ok ... weird as it may seem ... the AZ extension payment is in the FILE EXTENSION section ... if you did not complete this section originally then you must do so now even though you will not actually mail in any extension or payment now ... this is just to record the payment you did make earlier.

1.PNG2.PNG

View solution in original post

9 Replies

1)  If you made an extension payment for only one state, you can just enter that one state's extension payment in the Federal Taxes section<<<Deductions&Credits<<<Other Income Taxes section  (for those using the Online SE version, or desktop H&B version, it's in the Personal taxes section ).

2)  If you made extension payments to two or more states, you enter the total for all the states in the same spot as #1   (And select "Multiple States" from the end of the list of states).  Then, after you go thru each of the states interview, there should be a menu with "Other Situations" in which you can enter just the amount you paid for that state  (See Pic below)

StateExt.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thank you for the response.  Yes, I made extension payments for multiple states and entered the total as "Multiple States", however, when I go to each State and go to the review section, there is no option similar to the pic you are showing.  I went back through the entire state process again, and at the end it simply bounces back to the full list of states without option.  I'm using the online version of TT Premier.  Any other suggestions?

I dug deeper on this.  Arizona doesn't have such a screen.  MI, CO and CA all have something similar, however, in the online version, the Other Situations doesn't have an option for tax extension payments.  Here is a picture of what it shows.  I'm lost as to what to do next....

Capture.JPG

Ok ... weird as it may seem ... the AZ extension payment is in the FILE EXTENSION section ... if you did not complete this section originally then you must do so now even though you will not actually mail in any extension or payment now ... this is just to record the payment you did make earlier.

1.PNG2.PNG

@bjmatusz 

I don't have the AZ software, but I suspect that you have to go thru the "File an Extension" interview.

You won't really be filing an extension, but should be given a chance to enter what you paid in there somewhere.

I'll poke  some others and see if they have AZ..

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Looks like Critter got it....we were responding at the same time.

...but Colorado Special Funds? in your picture for AZ? 

confusing, but maybe you've got the gist of it anyhow.

@SteamTrain 

Until the online version shuts down in October, I use my fake returns to open up any state program I wish... had to go thru the system 3 times to find it  😉 after making sure I had an AZ balance due. 

Critter and SteamTrain....thank you both for your help.  I went through AZ and yes, you have to say you are filing the extension to record the payment.  Seems odd to me but that worked.  I will go through my remaining State returns and check the behavior of those.  As for the image I posted that shows Colorado while talking about Arizona, sorry for the confusion as I have CO, MI and CA also to file and the AZ return didn't have that type of Other Situations screen.  Thanks again!

@bjmatusz 

Over the past several years, TTX appears to have been slowly standardizing the state menu screens to be more consistent with one another...but apparently they are not done yet.   One thing I have noticed, is that you must go fully thru the state interview at least once before you get to see the state menu page, similar to the one I first showed above. SO if one jumps into the state section the very  first time, they don't get to see that menu right away.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies