Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ok i got married in 2018 in may. i have one child with my husband my other two are not his and i get ssi can i get a stimulus check if so i need help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Ok i got married in 2018 in may. i have one child with my husband my other two are not his and i get ssi can i get a stimulus check if so i need help

If you and your spouse are filing a Joint return, as you should be, then the children, under the age if 17 at the end of 2020, would be dependents if they live with you and would be eligible for the credit.  A step-child is the same as your spouses biological child for tax purposes.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@countrymom171527  I agree with @macuser_22's advise

did you file a tax return for 2018 or 2019? if yes, there is really nothing more to do, but wait for the payment. how many children were listed on that tax return (assuming you filed?)  

Check the IRS website and update your bank information if necessary. 

AGI is line 7 on your 2018 return and line 8B on your 2019 return.  Refund is line 21a of the 2019 tax return. and line 20a for 2018

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

my husband and me got a letter from the department of treasury office with both our name on it. saying his $3,900 stimulus went to his back child support on a child thats his but he doesnt get to see and hasnt seen in years. he didnt claim me as a dependent. we did however file married jointly. but yes i know that part bout step kids. but i thought since i get ssi id still get a stimulus check 

i didnt file for taxes cause i cant work i get ssi monthly. there were 3 kids on the tax return and all he got back in taxes was 1,350 and all that went to child support to. i didnt know that child support could take all your stimulus and put it towards child support. i know a father that owes 24,000 in back child support and he got his 1,200 stimulus money all to himself

@countrymom171527 wrote:

my husband and me got a letter from the department of treasury office with both our name on it. saying his $3,900 stimulus went to his back child support on a child thats his but he doesnt get to see and hasnt seen in years. he didnt claim me as a dependent. we did however file married jointly. but yes i know that part bout step kids. but i thought since i get ssi id still get a stimulus check 

A spouse can NEVER be a dependent.  Yes if there is a tax offset then it can be taken. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

but for the stimulus check can they take the whole thing knowing myself my husband spouse cant work n gets ssi knowing i heard people who get ssi can be eligible  for the stimulus check 

so my question is really since i get ssi and my husband stimulus went to child support will i get any stimulus money 

if the treasury letter says that $3900 was withheld for child support and that is two adults at $1200 each and three children at $500 each, then it would appear "no".

ok so the 2nd page of the letter from the treasury says for joint tax refund offsets only. 

if you filed a joint return and only one spouse is responsible for the debt the spouse who isnt responsible fr the debt may be entitled to his or her share of the joint refund if he or she had income withholdings estimated tax payments or refundable credits if both you and your spouse were offset for separate debts one of you may be entitled to have more of the overpayment applied to his or her refund.. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies