Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) stimulus payment thread

thanks for your fast response @VictoriaD75 .

I got to understand from your reply that any stimulus payments due cannot be reconciled in my 2019 amended tax returns. It will be based on 2020 income and 2020 tax returns when I file in 2021.  Please let me know if this is not right

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You are correct.  You cannot reconcile your stimulus payment with a 2019 amended return.  You will have to wait for your 2020 tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The stimulus will be reconciled  on the 2020 return you file in 2021. 

@Critter @DavidD66 

Thank you all for your answers. I appreciate them and it really helps.

Dookla12

I did not filed for 2018 and don't need to file for 2019. I went to the TT calculator web page and selected "dont need to file taxes this yes" and completed the required bank info and routing information. I submitted all the required information and withing minutes I got an email with a rejection notice. It appears I have to mail in my simplified with $1 in no taxable income tax return. No problem, I will mail in my return. Turbo Tax says in my print out directions to submit for mail will be included. When I choose print The federal and State return are the only items. There is no TurboTax instruction to file by mail. Can someone please provide the correct instructions to file my return by mail? And do I need to submit just federal or also state? I don't want to screw this up I need instructions. 

I filed my taxes through a tax preparer. The banking information on my return is not mine,  but I did receive direct deposit of my refund.  Will I still receive direct deposit for the stimulus in my bank account.  I filed last year through turbo tax,  but that bank account is closed.  I am so stressed about this. 

I filed my 2019 taxes already months ago and received my direct deposit already. That bank account used however, has been closed due to fraudulent activity. How can I receive my "stimulus" check now? 

@cameron12340 wrote:

I filed my 2019 taxes already months ago and received my direct deposit already. That bank account used however, has been closed due to fraudulent activity. How can I receive my "stimulus" check now? 

If you have filed a 2019 tax return and need to change or add your direct deposit information, see this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know
The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?
In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

@Dookla12 

The entire thing is broken and will shaft people on getting these checks. My brother submitted his days ago and still hasn't heard back or gotten a rejection and told what to do. Like you he doesn't need to file so it should be rejected and told to mail it in. Can't do that without getting whatever info you already got.

From personal experiences if you do not pay back taxes the Irs can hold your income tax refund. Going through it. However they cannot withhold the stimulus check being sent out. Per Trump amd Gov. . hope this helps

talltim
Returning Member

My 19 yr. College student daughter qualifies as tax independent in 2019. I will not claim her as a dependent in 2019. Unfortunately she filed 2019 as a dependent in error. Is it possible that she could amend her status to independent and receive stimulus check? Thanks.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@talltim  - Probably not.  We don't know how that's (amended returns claiming non dependent) gonna work.  Sounds like a big red flag to me.  

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
  2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are considered third party support and not as support provided by the student.
  3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

See full dependent rules at: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

I lost my income from this. I have my 2019 finished but do not have the $200 it's going to cost me to pay TurboTax to file my taxes, not counting the few hundred I owe. How can I then get the IRS my bank info? What options do I have?

areed2317
Returning Member

My parents did not claim me on their taxes for 2019, because I paid for all of my own income. On my taxes this year, I guess I selected that someone COULD claim me as a dependent. I used a different service (kicking myself for not using TurboTax this year...) and went through the process again to see where I might have selected that, and I did not.. I think it automatically did so because I am a student at the age of 22. 

Will I receive the stimulus? Should I amend my taxes? 

Thanks,

Austin

I did not receive my tax return this year, it went toward my student taxes. I know the covid stimulus check is not going to be put toward my student loan, but I am worried the fed does not have my direct deposit info, since they never made a direct deposit. Any information on this would be appreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies