Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Mark1980

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) stimulus payment thread

I tried using the tool to file to get the payment since I didn't need to file regularly, but it says I have to file married jointly to qualify. My wife receives social security so she doesn't need to file anything. How do I file for myself and dependents without adding my wife? 

I think i did my questions wrong on the website. I have no income i was only filling out for the government to get my address... And it told me to print my return out and send it in. But when I look over it it doesn't look right. How do I know that my paper work is right before i mail it it. 

I know someone that receives SSI (disability), and they're on low-income. Since they're on disability, they do not file taxes every year. How will they receive the stimulus check? Do they still need to file? If so, what type of tax form are they required to submit? 

With me e fileing with y'all will the stimulus check come to the card or can i change it where it can come to my bank account. If not will the IRS give people enough time to put that information in.

2019 I got the TT card 2018 I used my own bank account and years back. I also do get a SSI disability for my younger child. What account are they likely to send my stimulus check the personal bank account I used for 15 years the SSI banking info on file that I get my childs check in or the TT card info for 2019? Either way I have a vaild checking on file with the goverment

They will most likely send you a check in mail which may take a bit longer. 

No any one who gets SS the deposit will go in that same account

M31
Level 1

I claimed my boyfriend as a dependent on 2019 return finding out now he won’t get a stimulus check. He did file in 2018 will that matter?  Can I amend my taxes for it to help him receive it?

M31
Level 1

On my forms my boyfriend shows as other dependent. He did not have income. Since he isn’t a qualified dependent will he still get the stimulus or should I amend and remove him?  Can that help to receive it this year?

Hal_Al
Level 15

It's not clear yet, how amended returns will be handled.

But, you show know, he may be able to file next year and get the $1200.

"In essence, the stimulus check acts as an advance of your 2020 income tax refund. This means when you prepare your 2020 income tax return, there will be a line to include the section 6428 credit. The credit on your 2020 return is subtracted by any amount received as a stimulus check in 2020. If the amount you received as a stimulus check is less than the credit you are due, the difference will be included as part of your 2020 refund. If you have been overpaid by receiving the stimulus check, however, you will not be required to return any excess amount".

Reference: https://www.dailylocal.com/news/coronavirus/what-does-the-stimulus-check-mean-for-your-taxes/article...

I have done my husband and I's taxes through Turbo Tax for 2018 and 2019. In both years we owed money - we are small contractors with a simple partnership using our SSNs -  NOT a TIN.  With the IRS I have set up for 2018 ( I have not done it for 2019 yet) to have automatic payments taken out of my bank account on the money we owe.
We made so little in both years that even though we owe, we are still eligible for the stimulus.  I understand that even though we owe we will still receive the stimulus.  Does our auto-pay status with the IRS mean they will deposit our stimulus money there or will be get a check?  

After I try to register for the Stimulus I receive the following message.

Your transmission didn't go through
Your stimulus submission needs attention
It looks like some of the personal information you provided is missing or invalid. Return to the My Info section to make sure your personal and your dependent information like Social, address, phone, email address are complete and accurate.

All the information is correct. Any ideas?

YES .. you CANNOT file 2 tax returns for the same tax year ... you have already filed a 2019 return so you cannot use the registration program to enter your DD info ...  the program told you this no less than 3 times ...

If you have already filed a 2019 return there is nothing you can do until something happens ... it is unknown if the IRS will use your direct DEBIT on the payment plan for the direct DEPOSIT info for the stimulus checks ...

If you get the DD in the next 2 weeks then you are done.  Be happy.

If you do not get the DD by the time the IRS finally opens the promised portal then you can update your information at that time.   

Follow this site for updates:

CORONAVIRUS TAX CENTER: 2020 STIMULUS

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

Screens that told you to stop : 

stimulus payment registeration.pngstimulus payment registeration-0.pngstimulus payment registeration-2.png

Its all wait and see then.  Oh well.  

IRS PORTAL FOR NON-FILERS

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies