turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ybauermom

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) stimulus payment thread

For the first time...ever, I neither owe nor got a refund, so when I completed my forms, it did not let me enter my bank info for direct deposit. However, when I went into the stimulus signup, it tells me I am already registered because I filed. How do I get my bank info onto the stimulus site? Thanks!

I need help to update my bank information 

sxyri2020
Returning Member

Im on SSI and no required to file I did the stimulus with TurboTax and now i get a text it was rejected is that because I%27m already fine and set up to get the stimulus on my SS direct deposit card or do I now have to file by mail because I wanted to check and see I have children under 16 that I was wondering if they would be able to get the $500 for them let me know why or why not please.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

As of now the stimulus registration form is only for those who do not receive social security benefits.  The IRS has not worked the details on how to handle those on social security with dependents. Here is the latest news/information.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
evokiller845
Returning Member

I have a question , for 2018 and 2019 my return was applied to a past tax liability. I was able to enter my direct deposit info on both returns since it showed that i was receiving a refund. Also, I am currently on a direct debit installment agreement with the IRS that will be settled this month. Will i have to submit my bank info to the IRS or will they be able to use the info on my return or my direct debit agreement?

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Luckily for you, you are one of the people whose information the IRS already has. You should be covered and will not have to do anything else to receive your stimulus check. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Smartboot

You can definitely save the TurboTax file into two different files, then use one to 'play around' in situations.  Just make sure you file the correct one!  In general the tax cost of married file separately is significantly higher, but you can use what you're suggesting to compare.

DO NOT BELIEVE FREE WHEN THEY DO YOUR TAXES!!! i GOT CHARGED 100 AND ASIDE THAT, ANY MONIES DUE TO YOURSELF INCLUDING TAXES, THE IRS ARE SUPPOSE TO PASS THROUGH WHAT IS OWED TO HELP THE BARTENDERS GOING THROUGH THIS HORIBBLE PANADEMIC AND ALL MONIES IS USEFUL TO US ALL OUT OF WORK BEING LAID OFF. BUT THE IRS THROUGH THIS APP TOOK MY INCOME TAX FOR THEMSELVES AND NOW I AM WITHOUTH.  HOW LOW CAN YOU GO!!! THE ONES IN NEED WITH A CHRONIC ILLNESS..CHRONIC PANCREATITAS WHICH IS NEEDED DAILY AND MONTHLY. i HAVE DR APPTS EVERY MONTH THAT COSTS ME A LOT OF MONEY NOT TO MENTION THE MONIES, THEY ARE A FRAUD!!!

THEY SAID IT WAS FREE BUT THEY TOOK 100 FROM MY TAX RETURNS AND NOT TO MENTION BECUASE OF HE CORONA VIRUS, EVEN THOUGH i OWE THE iIRS, THEY TOOK MY ENTIRE CHECK OF 1004.00 AS A BARTENDER WITHOUT A JOB AND LAID OFF FOR GOD KNOWS WHEN....THE IRS IS NOT SUPPOSE TO TAKE OFF YOUR MONIES OWED EVEN IF OWED. READ UP ON IT!!

@jhope929 

1. TurboTax Free Edition is NOT available to all taxpayers; it applies only to "simple" returns that do not require any schedules other than the 1040 itself. For future reference, you may want to consider TurboTax's IRS Free File product at https://freefile.intuit.com , which is limited by AGI but *not* the complexity of the return; that may be a better option for you in future years. (I just filed my own return using that site; it would not have qualified for the regular Free Edition.)

2. More than likely (no one here can see anyone's return) you ended up with TurboTax Deluxe, which currently costs $60; the other $40 is a "refund processing fee" for deducting that fee from your refund. You can avoid the extra $40 by paying up front with a credit or debit card, or by using the IRS Free File edition if you qualify.

3. Though the IRS has suspended many collection efforts during the COVID-19 crisis, I see *nothing* that says they won't deduct back taxes from your *refund*. That is done by the IRS and has nothing to do with TurboTax. 

4. Now, the good news: Congress DID prohibit the IRS from collecting back taxes out of your upcoming stimulus check, the topic of this thread. (Only child support can be collected from stimulus checks via offset.) Since you had TurboTax fees deducted from your refund, it is presently unclear if your stimulus will arrive by direct deposit or paper check as your bank info went to a third party; there is a possibility that it will come by direct deposit anyway, but even if it doesn't you will be able to enter it on the upcoming IRS portal. (TurboTax's Stimulus Registration page is only for those who don't have to file for either 2018 or 2019 *and* do not receive Social Security or railroad retirement.)

@sxyri2020 Do you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) only, or do you also receive Social Security disability (SSDI)? If you receive SSDI (or any other kind of Social Security), you don't need to file to get the $1,200; as @DMarkM1 said it's unclear how you will be able to claim the additional $500 per child. If you have *only* SSI, however, you will need to file a simple return such as thru the Stimulus Registration page to get a stimulus check. (SSI is *not* Social Security even though it's administered by the Social Security Administration.)

sxyri2020
Returning Member

Well I was rejected and I AM COMPLETELY CONFUSED WHY....

Was I not supposed to do this simple stimulus file as I only have ssi which states ssi will receive the $1200 but I was wondering about my two kids under 17 because this has truly been a tremendous struggle for me and my family as I know it has for others as well. You all are in my prayers for healthy and blessed lives. Be safe and pray for me to receive it as others do and without any kind of delays of needing mailed or anything because I know that would take way much longer. 

Please keep me posted on this and have a blessed week. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

the irs will post a link at this website so you can provide bank info if needed.  when? good question.  check daily.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

Do the simple stimulus forms have to be mailed in?  It won't let me file and keeps telling me some of the information is incorrect, but it isn't and I can't find the "review" page it keeps telling me to go to.  It only seems to exist in the regular filing section.

ranceny00

I'm reading that the stimulus check is based on dependent status for 2019, and all FAQ say that if you are claimed as a dependent on someone else's return you will not receive a stimulus payment; however, what if you are not being claimed as a dependent for TY 2020?

Recent college graduate, claimed as dependent on parents' return in 2018 and will be claimed in 2019 when parents file as well. Started working in 2020 and will NOT be claimed as a dependent on parents' return in 2020.

Will they be eligible to claim the credit on their 2020 tax return and get the benefit when they file next year? Or is there a way for them get the stimulus payment now, without having filed a return previously? (Note that filing a 2019 return right now, they'd have to indicate that they are being claimed on parents' tax return for 2019). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies