turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to enter both my 1095-B and 1095-A forms?

I had employer insurance for 10 months, had a 1 month break, then 1 month on Obama Care. Because of this I received both 1095 A and B. I was able to add A, but not cannot figure out how to add 1095-B.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

No, not all 1095 tax forms get reported.

• Only the 1095-A gets entered into TurboTax in the Health Insurance section. 
  • If you have a 1095-B, a form titled Health Coverage, the IRS does NOT need any details from this form. You can keep any 1095-B forms you get from your health insurance company or the government agency that sponsors your plan for your records.
  • If you have a 1095-C, a form titled Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage the IRS does NOT need any details from this form. You can keep any 1095-C forms you get from your employer for your records.

See the following TurboTax video for more info.

[edited]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

it wouldnt let me finish filing because it kept going back to that issu How do I take it off, and where does it ask for sssecurity income

How do I complete this process without being penalized for being uninsured for the majority of the year, if I cannot enter 1095b?

The IRS already has 1095-B and 1095-C information so there is nothing to enter (i.e., they will match up your identifying information for confirmation of insurance) other than to check the box on the tax form that you had insurance. Only 1095-A recipients need to fill out a Form 8962 to file with their return. In ALL cases, you keep the 1095 form(s) with your tax records. TurboTax handles all of reporting so just follow the question / answer process and you'll be fine.
kidnuts43

i received too much of a tax credit. if i file both the 1095 a and 1095 b forms wont that reduce my tax liability?

@kidnuts43 wrote:

i received too much of a tax credit. if i file both the 1095 a and 1095 b forms wont that reduce my tax liability?

The Form 1095-B is not and cannot be entered on a tax return.

Send your 1095B with your return. You don’t need to enter the details into your return. Just mail a copy with your return.  I say this because we did not provide a copy last year (2019 filing) and the IRS delayed my refund until we finally received notice that I needed to amend my return and mail it to the IRS. Once they received it, they adjusted my refund amount (they doubled it) and a few weeks later they deposited it into my account.  

The law still requires a Form 1095-B to be filed with the IRS, but taxpayers do not generally need this Form in order to prepare their individual returns for 2019.

@harmony-kenney wrote:

Send your 1095B with your return. You don’t need to enter the details into your return. Just mail a copy with your return.  I say this because we did not provide a copy last year (2019 filing) and the IRS delayed my refund until we finally received notice that I needed to amend my return and mail it to the IRS. Once they received it, they adjusted my refund amount (they doubled it) and a few weeks later they deposited it into my account.  

The law still requires a Form 1095-B to be filed with the IRS, but taxpayers do not generally need this Form in order to prepare their individual returns for 2019.

NO.  The tax code does NOT require a Form 1095-B to be reported on a tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the Form 1095-B - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/do-i-need-to-enter-a-1095-b/01/26673

IRS Form 1095-B, Health Coverage - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1095b.pdf

Bill141
Returning Member

Gov't Employees Health Assoc. (GEHA) which I've had for 30 yrs does not issue a 1095A, ie, only the "marketplace" does and I didn't get my insurance from them, but Turbo Tax requires that I enter information from 1095A. Between a rock and hard spot. Now what?

@Bill141 wrote:

Gov't Employees Health Assoc. (GEHA) which I've had for 30 yrs does not issue a 1095A, ie, only the "marketplace" does and I didn't get my insurance from them, but Turbo Tax requires that I enter information from 1095A. Between a rock and hard spot. Now what?

Enter 1095-a in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1095-a

When asked if you have a Form 1095-A click on NO.  Or if you land on a screen showing the 1095-A delete the 1095-A.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies