turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I skip the identity protection PIN number. I didn't receive one yet every time I file it gets rejected! I'm so frustrated now

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Why can't I skip the identity protection PIN number. I didn't receive one yet every time I file it gets rejected! I'm so frustrated now

Unfortunately, you can't skip the IP PIN.  Use the link at the bottom to retrieve your IP PIN.  An Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) is a 6-digit number that the IRS gives taxpayers who were victims of tax-related identity theft.

The IP PIN validates a Social Security number's true owner and prevents future tax fraud. Most taxpayers don't need one.

However, if you received an IP PIN or CP01A notice from the IRS in the past, you must use your 2018 IP PIN to validate your identity when you file your 2018 return.

We are unable to issue IP PINs and you won't find them on your tax paperwork. You can only get IP PINs from the IRS by following these instructions.

WKM343

We have been filing joint returns for 54 years and never ,even, heard of requiring a PIN to file a return.  What gives, now?  If it's a requirement, Turbo Tax should provide it or streamline a means to obtain it.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You are commenting on a post that is 3 years old. The IRS does not require a pin now, as they will ask for the AGI. @WKM343

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The PIN in the 3 year old post is an Identity Protection PIN and it is still required for persons who have been the victim of identity theft on their tax return. If you need it, the IRS will supply it to you. If you have not been the victim of identity theft, you do not need it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies