Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year 2021 transmissions are not available.

That's basically it - North Carolina's delay. The D-400 form will not be available to e-file when you e-file EVERYTHING until February 24th. I've also seen February 25th. I would periodically check it out, like I've been doing, just to see if it will go through.

YES! That's why everyone has been confused. I did signup for emails for them to let me know when that form would be available, but I think the confusion would've been extremely limited had they clarified from the jump that nothing would be available to actually e-file until February 24th. I couldn't even access that D-400 form until last week. It sucks even more for permanent residents (like myself) who had to wait to even access that form and still have to wait to actually e-file ANOTHER WEEK. 

That's what I'm wondering too. I understand situations happen and maybe for 6 months of 2021 you were an NC resident so you'd still have to file taxes for those 6 months, but I'm a permanent resident and do not understand why when I specify I'm and have been a permanent resident of North Carolina since I've been filing taxes, that this form is absolutely necessary to complete my taxes.

That's honestly the biggest issue here. TurboTax literally took my payment to file my taxes but e-filing will not be available for me until next week.

My best guess as to why this issue occurred, is that the email alert parameters were not set up separately for either mail or e-file notification. We received an email notice that form D-400 for NC residents was ready to file when the paper or mail version was released to the IRS, not the digital version, which we need to transmit at the time of e-filing. Apparently whomever set up the alert did not make that distinction, and as a result, a notification went out when the paper/mail version (which we don't need) was released, which created a lot of unnecessary aggravation.  That's probably why the pop-up asking asking for email notification has not appeared since the initial request for enrollment of the notification. This seems to be a simple explanation that anyone at intuit, or turbox could have easily provided at any time, instead of no explanation at all. 

Yeah guys, it looks like the best workaround for this is what the previous person replied. Which is once you get to review and file portion of the return process,  just click mail my return/tax form and it will allow you to change the e-file status of the state return without having to change the status of the federal return. It will then allow you to select “ not ready to file/file later” for the state return and continue the filing process for the federal return without issue. It will then show the federal return as “pending” and state return as “started”. You’ll  just have to remember and make sure to go back to finish the state return process once we’re able to for NC. They won’t charge you again though, it’ll just be a continuation of the process. Just stinks we can’t process both at the same time like previous years. 

I'm in NC too. Glad I'm not the only one having this issue. Pisses me off because I just paid the $20 to file then I get this message.

Yeah, it’s very frustrating. Just because of being in NC. I think it was around $39 for me to “file my federal and state tax return together” only to get the error message and still have to file them at separate times. I don’t think they should be charging the customer first before they can even follow through on what we’re paying for. However, you can file the federal at least and the state will just have to be filed next week or so. Thankfully they didn’t try to charge me twice or it would’ve been a dispute lol Good luck! 

When will this issue be fixed? I keep getting this error as well. Filing from NC.

Hello! I’m not entirely sure, but according to one of the other members who replied this issue is occurring due to a tax form that is not yet available to be sent to IRS for the NC state return.  A form called the D-400, and I’m guessing whether you need to complete that form or not it needs to be available on turbo tax for their purposes before we can file the NC state return. The other member said that form should be available around February 24th or 25th on turbo tax,  so that’s when I’m hoping all will be resolved and plan on trying to finish filing my started state tax return. I would say give it a go around that time too, but you can do your federal for now to get that part going. 

I haven’t seen an official statement from

turbo tax yet. 

Mee too!! 

Thank you!! I am going to try this!!

@Cajungal Thanks, I am going to try this!!

mohona

Do you live in NC? Apparently NC state returns causing the problem

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies