Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My taxes have been rejected saying the AGI doesnt match. but the AGI im entering is the same number i received from the IRS transcript...HELP!!!!

I get that I can mail in the return, but part of what I paid for is the ability to e-file. Suggesting that I just mail it in is not a satisfactory response.

My taxes have been rejected saying the AGI doesnt match. but the AGI im entering is the same number i received from the IRS transcript...HELP!!!!

@rhroutjr Your fee is for using the software to prepare your tax return.   Rejections do not come from TurboTax---they come from the IRS.   TurboTax does not promise that the IRS will accept your tax return---and you did not pay any extra fee to e-file if you used online TurboTax.   You can try to fix the problem and re-file, but if the IRS continues to reject your return the other way to file it is by mail.

You received an email that we cannot see that tells you why your tax return was rejected.  

Some rejected returns can be fixed and re-filed.  Some have “un-fixable” reasons for the rejection and have to be mailed instead. What is the rejection code or rejection message? 

If it was rejected for AGI—-be aware that many 2019 returns took so long for the IRS to process that your 2019 AGI might not be in the IRS system.   Try using zero instead.

If filing with zero is rejected then file again but select the option that you did not file last year.  The IRS does not see that question and it will allow you to e-file with no AGI question.

Or—-if you filed as a “non-filer” just to get the stimulus check on a 2019 return, try using $1 as the AGI.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxvox/are-irs-security-tools-blocking-millions-people-filing-electr...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Same here. After getting rejected, I entered "$0" and, finally, the e-filing worked --- even though $0 was not the amount of the prior year AGI.

It's a mystery why this works. Is TurboTax the problem? (We already know of several TurnoTax glitches; this may be yet another. It's frustrating.)

Great! Just waiting for my last attempt to be rejected so I can try the $0 AGI work-around. And yes, TT seemed unusually buggy this year to me too. Sort of understandable given late tax law changes, but still...

Yes, TurboTax is the problem. Although rejections come from the IRS and not TT, the glitch lies in how TT transmits the AGI data to the IRS. 
I have said this many times in this forum, but if you keep getting rejections due to the "wrong" AGI even after trying the trick of entering zero, use another software program. I now use FreeTaxUSA. Filing a paper return is not a solution; it's a last resort. Who wants to wait 12 weeks for a refund?

The 0 AGI workaround worked for me as well. I checked my IRS transcripts and found that my 2020 AGI was correct, so I'm not sure where the problem lies.  Not on my side, so the IRS-Intuit interface is buggy.  Let's get it together Intuit. 

BTW, I entered $0 for the AGI AND chose "first time" efiler. 

Thank you very much for bringing the $0 AGI workaround to my attention. It worked, and I appreciate your helping me to extract full value from this software. It's unfortunate that the TTax support person with whom I spoke was unaware of this workaround. Her best advice was that I give-up on the software and just print/mail my return. 

I will, however, continue to disagree with the party line that TTax users are paying solely for its tax return preparation functionality. The fact that TTax "Includes: 5 Federal e-files with confirmation" is positioned second on the inventory of value proposition elements that's listed on the packaging indicates to me that Intuit thinks we should assign value to e-filing as we decide whether or not to purchase the software. "Includes:" is even highlit in a bold red font. TTax's offering State e-file for an additional $25 further reinforces my notion that they feel the Federal e-filing functionality carries considerable intrinsic value. 

Finally, that the IRS will accept an incorrect AGI, rather than the correct AGI, doesn't strike me as conclusive evidence that the root problem resides with the IRS, rather than with Intuit. 

Bottom line, though: thanks again for sharing a workable solution to the problem, regardless of where the source of the problem may reside.

misc7

How do I find the AGI to re-submit my form for 2020?

@misc7 

Where do I find my AGI?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/00/270...

Your 2019 tax return shows your 2019 Adjusted Gross Income  (AGI)  If you filed a joint return then the AGI is the same for each of you.

Form 1040        line 8b

If you are using the same TT account that you used last year, you should also be able to find this number in your Tax Home for 2019

If entering the amount from your 2019 tax return does not work, then try entering “0” instead.  If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

You can get a free transcript of your past return from the IRS:  

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Note: If you filed late or amended your return, your correct 2019 AGI may not be in the system. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1944348-how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online

Note:  If you mail your federal return, you will also need to mail your state return.  You will not be able to e-file your state return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3415597-what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-getting-an...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1944348-how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online

it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail.  Then you will know the IRS received it.

If you used the wrong AGI, your e-file  be rejected.  When you get the rejection notice, correct it and re-file.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You need your 2019 AGI to efile 2020. The AGI is on 2019 1040 line 8b. If you filed a Joint return you use the same AGI for each spouse.

How to find the AGI.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

If you didn't file 2019 or filed it later in the year or mailed it, then try entering 0 for the AGI. If that doesn't work you will have to print and mail your return.

Or request a transcript from the IRS
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

"Note: If you filed late or amended your return, your correct 2019 AGI may not be in the system."

I verified the AGI I had input with a letter I received FROM the IRS giving my 2019 AGI.  So my 2019 return is in the system; my 2020 return was not accepted.

The e-file capability is one of the main reasons I use TurboTax.  Having to paper file is NOT a solution.  There is a software glitch somewhere and it should be fixed. 

The AGI might not be in the right system at IRS.   Try entering 0 for the AGI since it took a long time to process 2019 returns.  A lot of people have to use zero for AGI.

@darla1 The IRS is severely backlogged in many ways---so it is quite likely they have not put your 2019 AGI into the system to match up with your SSN so that you can e-file 2020.    As VolvoGirl suggested, try using zero instead.  But if zero will not work, you will need to print sign and mail your return.

to: XmasBaby and VolvoGirl

Thank you for considering and replying to my comment.  To clarify:  the mail I received from the IRS was a notice informing me of "Changes to your 2019 Form 1040," so they had indeed received and processed my return.  They even sent me an unexpected and inexplicable refund check for $7.15.  So I maintain that the problem does not lie with an AGI not being entered into their system.  However, the first-time filer-zero option worked, thankfully, and I am grateful to those posters who mentioned it here.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies