turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ggorden79

My tax returns keep getting rejected because of dependents social security number and the number is correct what do I need to do to fix the issue?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

My tax returns keep getting rejected because of dependents social security number and the number is correct what do I need to do to fix the issue?

If the IRS social security number does not match the Social Security Administration's information, your tax return will be rejected. Call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 to verify their records. 

If you verified that the info you entered is correct and you e-file again, the IRS e-file servers will almost certainly reject your return for the same reason. In this case, your only option is to paper-file (mail) your return.

Here is some other information about dependents and their social security numbers not matching:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

10 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

If the IRS social security number does not match the Social Security Administration's information, your tax return will be rejected. Call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 to verify their records. 

If you verified that the info you entered is correct and you e-file again, the IRS e-file servers will almost certainly reject your return for the same reason. In this case, your only option is to paper-file (mail) your return.

Here is some other information about dependents and their social security numbers not matching:

im having the same issue  and my information is correct, ridiculous. ive head rumors it may have something to do with the stimulus payments if someone else got those because they were claimed by someone else last year?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

This message usually appears when the dependent has already been claimed on another tax return. For assistance, please see the TurboTax FAQ: What if somebody already claimed my dependent?

@rodwins76

Ludwig77

My son was born in November.  We did not receive his SS# from the SSA until the beginning of February.  I tried filing my taxes last week and it was rejected because of his SS#.  How long does it take for the SSA and IRS to have the same information?  I confirmed my son's SS# is correct in the return.

Try waiting another week or two for the IRS SSS database to catch up.

Ludwig77

Thanks I will.  Do you know if there is a limit to the number of times I can submit my tax returns before I am forced to send them in manually?  I don't want to push my luck and have them rejected too many times. 

@Ludwig77 Ludwig did you ever figure this out? Going through the exact same thing. Got my kids social on Monday and I have been trying to file since Wednesday and it keeps rejecting it. Filed 8 times and I am thinking I need to stop and wait a week or two incase IRS doesn’t have information SS info as yet. Thanks! 

I ended up using taxusa just to see what happens and it went through the very first time and I had my money a week later.  TurboTax was telling my I would need to file by paper and that takes months.  I honestly think the issue is on TurboTax. Hope this helps.  Taxusa is free also and through irs. 

Ludwig77

Hey @McRondo TurboTax said as long as I know the information is right, my return would be accepted the second time I submitted it, but I spoke to both IRS and SSA as well just to be sure.  It does take a week or two for their information to sync, so in your case I would wait until the second week of April to re-file.  In my case, while my child's birth certificate and social security card display a properly hyphenated last name, when I contacted the SSA they suggested I file without the hyphen in the last name, which is what I ultimately did and my return went through and I had my refund in about 10 days.   I hope this information helps.  Good luck and belated congrats on your new family addition!

@Ludwig77 @thank you so much! This helps a lot. I think I am going to be wait a week or so to file again. I really don’t want to paper file and that is what TurboTax keeps saying I need to do. Tried calling IRS but can’t get through, SSA confirmed that all info is correct. I’m hoping it is just because the IRS doesn’t have the info as yet, and that’s why it’s being rejected. Congratulations to you as well! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies