turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Sherial89

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My stimulus got rejected. Why? What do I do?

I believe everyone followed directions however in my case bank info has changed wonder if that was a factor in getting rejected

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.  If you have filed a return and try to use this to update your information, you will get a reject.  

This can only be used for people who have not and will not file a return based on filing requirements.

If you need to update your direct deposit information, the IRS is working on creating a portal for you to enter your deposit information.  No word on how long before it is available.

Follow this site for updates: CORONAVIRUS TAX CENTER: 2020 STIMULUS

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mine was rejected immediately. My wife and I did not have any income for last 2 years,therefore nothing to file. Did file in 2017 but got a paper check. Don't understand how it would just reject direct deposit info. Scaratchin my head.

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

@goofygrape55 You can't just file a tax return with direct deposit information only. You will have to file a return with valid income data.

If your bank changed from the bank shown on your 2019 filed tax return, then you need to use an online portal that the IRS will put up in the next few days to change your direct deposit information. Here is a link to an IRS web site to follow: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

You can't make the change using TurboTax. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The same thing happened to me. I get public assistance and I haven’t worked since 2018 so I just went in to submit my information for direct deposit and it rejected it and when I went back to check it said check back because it was submitted to the irs. 

@Anonymous - you state you haven't worked since 2018, but in 2018 did you file a tax return? or are you on social security? if so to either question, there is no need for you to apply 

Mine said the same thing. After some research down a rabbit hole I believe mine is because of something to do with my marketplace filing and my insurance.  But it's a simple fix, just print the form and mail it in. 

I put on there I am a Party Planner which is wrong. I was suppose to put unemployed because I am. How do I fix it?

JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

These links may help explain and guide you through the process.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/ link to stimulus registration (SR).  It is very important that you uses this link that says register now if you don't need to file taxes this year.  Otherwise, you will not be able to E-file a zero return. It also has the calculator.

The IRS says it is working on developing a web-based system for people to give the government their direct-deposit information. Keep checking www.irs.gov/coronavirus for more details on this.

Whether you are employed or not has no affect on the amount of stimulus payment you receive so don't be concerned about entering employment that you currently don't have. 

If you were self employed or were a small business that had employees, you may be eligible for one of the small business loans which can become a grant. Go to the Small Business Administration web site for more information: https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/coronavirus-relief-options/paycheck-protection-program-pp...

Well you can just sign back in and edit your basic info, but I'm not positive that you can submit it again.  I found out that because I have insurance through the marketplace on Healthcare.Gov that I was supposed to file an extra form along with that filing. I think intuit/turbotax should have asked that question. 

The IRS also says that you can give them your direct deposit information through this site, that what we are doing. The IRS has teamed up with Turbotax to do this. 

@Shannonkae777 - the turbo tax site is ONLY for those who are not required to file a tax return.

If you already filed but did not provide bank information, that has to be supplied to the IRS directly at a website they have yet to build...

My stimulus check got rejected

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies