turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My stimulus check is wrong. What now?

@Stinkerbellkity I used the turbo tax non filers portal... I didn't receive $500 for my son.. I dont understand why Turbo tax wouldnt provide dependent information to the IRS.. It doesn't seem right at all. And I still haven't seen anyone from turbo tax answer any questions here.. its fishy in my opinion 

Gallifamily
Returning Member

I filed before the irs even had a way for non filers to submit, which is why I did it through turbotax. I tried to submit it on the irs website and it says return already submitted.  Just got off the phone with turbotax and they said that the info we filed with them all goes to the irs, nothing should be missing.

@Angel82 @Gallifamily - it may not be that the IRS doesn't have your information, it may be how you filled out the form

please look at the tax form tax was generated and where you child is listed.  WAY OVER to the right is a box that is checked.  What is the heading above the box that is checked? is it "child tax credit" or "other dependent tax credit"

if child tax credit, the IRS made a mistake

if 'other dependent tax credit' , there is something you did when you filled out the form that caused the $500 not to be paid.  Respond back if this is the case and we can go from there.

I assume your child is under 17 years old.  Children older than 16 as of 12.31.19 are not eligible for the $500,.

Gallifamily
Returning Member

@NCperson Definitely child tax credit is checked.

Kids are 4,7, and 8. 

@Gallifamily - then it's an IRS error.  

IRS FAQ:

a letter about the Payment will be mailed to each recipient’s last known address within 15 days after the Payment is made. The letter will provide information on how the Payment was made and how to report any failure to receive the Payment.

We’re you able to figure it out? I have 2 defendants and they only have me 1,700$. I’m trying to see how I can get those extra 500$. Please help! 

@Prince2 - 

please look at the tax form tax was generated and where you child is listed.  WAY OVER to the right is a box that is checked.  What is the heading above the box that is checked? is it "child tax credit" or "other dependent tax credit"

if child tax credit, the IRS made a mistake

if 'other dependent tax credit' , there is something you did when you filled out the form that caused the $500 not to be paid.  Respond back if this is the case and we can go from there.

how old are your children? any born in 2019? any over the age of 16? 

The letter is not helpful. I received it yesterday. It’s a standard letter with a typed in dollar amount. It gives you no information as to why you received the certain amount. The number provided is a standard IRS number and I sat on hold for four hours yesterday cycling through recordings

Oh man! Im so sorry to hear that, I have 2 dependents, I think they just went based off my 2019 taxes since hadn't filed my 2019 just yet.....but it still sucks. I should be able to get 500$ even I filed a little late. I don't know how else I can get those extra 500$ somehow. They dont show an option for that which is kind of frustrating, I thought I was the only one but thee are many cases out here! 

Hi there ! I appreciate the help, the thing is these aren't my kids, their my sisters that I watch over. I had only filed one on 2018 but for 2019 I had to file both due to some family things so once I did, everyone started getting their stimulus checks and the funny things is that I got my tax return and stimulus check all at once which was great but I know that its 500$ per kid and I only got 1,700$. They did say they would go off of 2018 and 2019 but I should still be able to get this extra 500$ for my other dependent! Where can I check for what you just stated, on turn tax ?

@NCperson 

Oh and one is 17 & 8 years of age !

@Prince2  Sorry has to be UNDER 17 to qualify.  So you only get it for 1.  When did he turn 17?

She turned 17 in December ! @VolvoGirl 

@Prince2 - you agree "problem solved"?  the 17 year old is not eligible for stimulus, so you received what you were entitled to, right???

@VolvoGirl - 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies