turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My stimulus check is wrong. What now?

@seneeves 

1) suggest amending because that MAY adjust the tax credit (qualifying children get up to $2000 of tax credit PER CHILD and other dependents get up to $500 per person) and thus reduce the back taxes you owe. How many years back did this occur as you can go as far back as 2016 to amend. 

2) the IRS is not garnishing the stimulus for back taxes (it is garnishing for back child support)

3) be sure to mention in the comments section of  the amendment that you'd appreciate the stimulus being sent to you since the amendment makes the children eligible for the $500 (each)

4) worst case, if the amendment doesn't get you the stimulus money (and the amendments won't process for a good 16 weeks), here is what is going to occur: 

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include where you didn't get money for the children), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing.... assuming the children are properly coded on the 2020 tax return 🙂 
  • If you received too much stimulus (not the issue here), by law , you are not required to return it

does that help?  we may have found you LOTS of money for the child care credit and a path to get the stimulus money (albeit worst case not until next year) 

Ive read that people who used turbo tax to file arent receiving the dependents extra 500 because turbo tax didn't submit the information properly. H&R block filers got their full stimulus including the dependents extra $500

@Angel82 wrote:

Ive read that people who used turbo tax to file arent receiving the dependents extra 500 because turbo tax didn't submit the information properly. H&R filers got their full stimulus including the dependents extra $500

If you entered a dependent on your federal tax return and e-filed the federal tax return then the dependent information was received by the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

For security reasons, a letter about the Payment will be mailed to each recipient’s last known address within 15 days after the Payment is made. The letter will provide information on how the Payment was made and how to report any failure to receive the Payment.

Doesnt seem like it... people arent getting the dependents pay.. its too many comments here saying the same thing for it not to be an error on turbo tax end.. my opinion 

@Angel82 wrote:

Doesnt seem like it... people arent getting the dependents pay.. its too many comments here saying the same thing for it not to be an error on turbo tax end.. my opinion 

Also note that many folks think just because the child is a dependent then they are to receive the $500 stimulus payment for the child.  Not realizing that the child must be under the age of 17 to be eligible.

There have been many posts on dozens of different threads where users have posted that they Have received the $500 stimulus payment for their children.

Im referring to this post... but ok

@Angel82 @DoninGA - there are a number of press reports as well that there are dependents missing from the payments and what we all have to wait on is those letters the IRS is supposed to send within 15 days of the payment to understand what the IRS process is going to be if folks dispute the payment. 

the problem with this group is if they don't file in 2020, the 'settle up' process on the 2020 tax return won't do the trick. 

Can you link us to the press reports? There are too many post on here suggesting TurboTax is the one who made this error. I'm a non-filer so what is the reason I didn't receive my 500 per child. Also, as a non filer why would TurboTax make it seem like I'm filing my taxes with making X's on the Child tax credit instead of the Credit for other dependents. TurboTax should have to respond to this.

@katwoman0508 

i will admit when i went back to the articles I saw, they actually linked their evidence back to this community board!!!!!

you many have a point, but on the other hand, if someone inadvertently answered a question incorrectly, it would default to the 'other dependents credit'., which is a "no go " for stimulus.  

you are technically filling out a simple tax form, so even as a non-filer, you are asked all the questions about a dependent that a filer would (I just ran through the TT non-filer program for my own edification but could not go all the way to the end because I am a filer). 

When you did the non-filer program, did it tell you at the end how much stimulus you qualified for?  If it included the child correctly at $500, but the IRS didn't pay out, that may indicate a TT bug..... would appreciate knowing what your experience was. 

there are children under the age of 17 that are not eligible for the $500 stimulus (non US citizens or resident aliens, children that may have lived with another parent less than 6 months of the year,children without social security numbers etc.) so it makes sense that TT takes y'all through all those questions. 

you may be right...... let's keep watching for others to complain. As these payments have just begun for non-filers, the cacophony may grow!

Sandra77
Returning Member

Hello I had filed my 2019 taxes and I only received 282.45 for the stimulus check and I don't understand why???

I know it was over the limit of $75000 but not by much is there any why you can check?  

That would be the amount if you made around 93,000.  It might be based on your 2018 return.  They are suppose to be sending letters to tell you how they figured it.  

Sandra77
Returning Member

I though it was minus #5.00 for ever $100 and I thought it was on net not gross ? I also have a friend who made more a lot more than me and got more money even with out the 500 for her child she has . Still not making any sense 

It is based on your AGI Adjusted Gross Income.  Maybe your friend is married?  

We absolutely qualified. I actually was on the phone with a Turbo tax Rep who helped me with filing the return through TuboTax. the rep went over everything step by step. I just wish some one would fix this ASAP some of Us Cannot wait until 2021 for us to receive this credit. this was supposed to be added to 1200 dollars this was through no fault of our own.

Slfazzio

I only received 1200. I have 3 kids 13 and younger. What happened to the other 1500?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies