turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My spouse already file, we filed married filing separate. But now to get the stimulus, I have to file. Turbo keeps telling me to change my filing status to MFJ

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

My spouse already file, we filed married filing separate. But now to get the stimulus, I have to file. Turbo keeps telling me to change my filing status to MFJ

Unless your spouse wants to amend the MFS return already filed to a joint return, you also need to file MFS.  You cannot file a joint return because your spouse's return using his/her Social Security number has already been filed.  Looks like you are stuck with MFS if you want to get something filed quickly for the sake of the stimulus check.  If you want to amend it later to a joint return, you have three years to amend it.

If your spouse itemized, you have to itemize, too.  If your spouse used standard deduction then you must also use standard deduction.

When you are in My Info it will ask if you  were married...say yes....next it will ask if you want to file together with your spouse.  Say NO.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You should have created a new return to prepare the second return.  You cannot do it in the same file.

Steps to create a new return online

If you have already done that, confirm you are selecting the correct filing status in the My info section of the return.

Under the Personal Info summary page, scroll down below your name. 

For marital status, it should say Married Filing Separately.  If it does not, select Edit to the right and make your correction here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the same issue....My wife has already filed her taxes as Married Filing Separately.  I logged into this TurboTax Stimulus Portal to create my simple return....followed all the steps, filed as Married Filing Separately.....and when I go to finalize, it sends up an error that I need to edit to Married Filing Jointly.  Which makes no sense.....since wife already filed as Separate.  Not sure why this is occurring...I clearly cannot just edit it to Joint when she already filed as Separate.....it feels like a glitch.....

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You are not using the same TurboTax Account as your spouse are you?  You need to have two completely separate accounts.

Using a completely separate account.  Everything goes normal until the very end, when Turbo Tax sends up an error message that in order for your Stimulus submission to be successful, you need to switch your filing status to "married filing jointly".  Confusing.  We have always filed separately, she has already filed separately for 2019 and received her refund.  Not sure why I am being told to switch to "jointly" by Turbo Tax at the final hurdle......

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

There are special rules when individuals file separately concerning the amount of stimulus check.  This link Married Filing Separately has examples of how filing separately can impact your stimulus check.  

Greg 2

That link is marked as outdated and contradicts the eligibility conditions as stated by the IRS regarding the Economic Impact check.

I am having the same problem as many other posters here, where my spouse filed as MFS but when I attempt to submit the non-filer's form to receive the stimulus check the program asks me to change my status to Married Filing Jointly, which I cannot do.  Nor can I file as single.  That is because I am married and the IRS already has me recorded as such.  I had the same problem when trying to use the program on the IRS website, which did not have the MFS option.

None of the advice on this forum addresses the actual problem described or how to actually fix it.  The help documents do not address it.  The Turbo Tax representative I talked to on the phone did not understand the problem.

It is as though this website and this whole affair vomited back through space and time to inspire Kafka.

If anyone knows something helpful, please share.

Greg 2

After spending all day just trying stuff, it looks like FreeTaxUSA has a non-filing program that does not get caught up like the others do.  That said, I don't know if it will work with the IRS.  Who knows anything?  Just don't file more than once!

Greg 2

This also did not work.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies