Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My return was rejected due to FED_Taxable_Inherited_IRA but I did not inherit an IRA.

I have been rejected twice for the very same reason.  Hopefully, the March 5th update will remedy this.

My return was rejected due to FED_Taxable_Inherited_IRA but I did not inherit an IRA.

Filed online. Premier. Yesterday.

I had ira distribution activity but no inherited ira.
error message mentioned inherited.
waiting for magic on Mar 5. 🙂

> TT said I cannot file by mail....because it is already processing....is this true? 

If your efile was rejected, it was like you never filed at all. You can efile again, file by paper, whatever. Also, the efile(s) that you paid for are not decremented until you actually have the return accepted.

I spoke to a TT representative this afternoon after submitting an online ticket, I also included a link to this thread in my ticket. She was very nice, but informed me that the issue would not be resolved until March 15. I told her that this is affecting many users and a representative from TT needs to post updates on this thread because we’re all in the dark. She also said this was an IRS issue and they’re waiting for updated forms. I told her that usually if TT is waiting on updated IRS forms the software will not let you e-file without the update, which was the case with my K-1s this year. I used TurboTax in the past for 4 years and then when to CPAs for about 10 years, this is my first year back with TT...it’s definitely not giving me the warm and fuzzy feeling. This whole thing sucks, as if taxes aren’t bad enough all by themselves!

BTW, I’m using TT Premier download for MAC

Question is - If this is an IRS issue, why is no other tax software having these complaints. Is TT so far ahead of everyone else that they caught this before TaxAct, HR Block, etc.?

filing online, Premier

e-filing with Premier desktop version.

Do have inherited IRA, but same rejection message as others.

UPDATE: I spoke on the phone with TurboTax representative about this issue a few minutes ago. She checked with her colleagues and found a notice that TT is aware of issue and anticipates a remedy by MARCH 25. At that time we should allegedly be able to sign into our returns, choose Review from the left hand column, go through the review steps and then resubmit/Efile. She indicates that the updated software will "fix the glitch automatically" and we shouldn't need to make any changes on our end. She also alleged that there was no limit as to how many times we try submitting. 

Also, the date seems to be inconsistent. Another user said, TT support said Mar 25 and the efile error says Mar 5.  I don't see how they will automatically fix and submit the return as it gets rejected. For that they have to hold on to it. I don't think that can work. Fed return needs to be accepted/rejected in 24/48 hrs. 

Brs,

Thanks for all people posting their responses from TT customer service.  I know someone said "what's the point of all this thread if TT is not responding?"  I would say--  we are tapping each others' collective info to deal with a frustrating issue.  I certainly want to file my taxes, and --- this is better info than I'm getting from any other source.

Ditto. No inherited IRA. Wasted an hour verifying my original entries were correct. My tax payment was scheduled to be debited on the 5th. Curious to see if Fed and State will grab the tax owed, even if the return is rejected?  Been using TurboTax for decades and lately have found the online version increasingly opaque - increasingly difficult to work directly off of IRS forms. Next year - back to the future and a paper return. 

Re: "inherited IRA" rejection code from Feb 26.

Here is my data for your Venn diagram:

My wife and I for years have e-filed with TT Deluxe downloaded version using Win 10...

1. Trad IRA for each of us

2. Yearly distributions (partially taxable)

3. Two 8606's, with basis carried year to year (TT recalculates basis correctly every year based on distribution amount)

4. Two 1099-R with 7 & X in Box 7

5. NO contributions

6. NO Roth or Roth conversions

7. And, of course, NO inherited IRA.

Note: Most posters have Roth conversion.  We don't.  I have a self-created Excel tax spreadsheet that calcs IRA bases yr to yr, and it always matches TT's calcs.  TT has always worked great for me for many years...until this year.  Will wait to re-file until other posters refile without Rejections > 3/5.  Hoping that successful re-filers post their results.

TT had the audacity to send me an email saying I need to log in and re-file my taxes because they got rejected.

Umm...   I KNOW they got rejected because a bug in YOUR software.  How about instead of sending me an email saying to re-file which we both know won't work you 1) post an update acknowledging the problem or just 2) give me a refund so I can get my taxes filed without sitting around waiting for March 5th, 15th, 25th, ...

Also to the customer rep who said it was an IRS problem and they were waiting for updated forms? That's a load of bull since I can look at the 8606 in my return and see that 1) it matches the existing 8606 on the irs website and 2) it's filled out just fine.  I'm not sure what TT's deal is.

Their communication on this is absolutely pathetic.

Add one more fact: before sending e file, I compared the form of last year on IRA part as I did same thing of converting ira to Roth every year (this part is a bit tricky so I wanted to make sure). The form looks exactly the same! And this time, I got the rejected message.  Typing on my phone sorry for briefness. 

I am going to give TT until Friday or the following Monday to fix the issue. If it is not fixed and I cannot file I am going to put in for a refund and go right down the street to HR Block. Get it together TT!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies