turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My parents did not claim me as a dependent on their 2019 taxes, but i checked that i could be claimed on mine. do i still qualify for the stimulus check if i want actually claimed? if not, is there an

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

My parents did not claim me as a dependent on their 2019 taxes, but i checked that i could be claimed on mine. do i still qualify for the stimulus check if i want actually claimed? if not, is there an

the law doesn't say that a dependent and parents can choose where the dependent gets claimed.  so if your parents could clain you, you don't qualify for stimlus check this year.  however, the actual determination will be for the uear 2020 tax return.  you see this check is only an advnce of what the actual credit will be for 2020.  so if your parents can't claim you in 2020 you will get a stimulus check.

here are the rules to see if your parents can claim you.   (no guarantee that the rules won't chhnage for 2020)

•  Same principal abode as parents for more than ½ the tax year.  Temporary absences like for school are ignored
  • If not a full-time student, under 19 at the end of the tax year.  If a full-time student under 24 at end of tax year.  

Full -time means an individual who during each of 5 calendar months during the calendar year in which the taxable year of the taxpayer begins is a full-time student at an educational organization described in section 170(b)(1)(A)(ii), or is pursuing a full-time course of institutional on-farm training under the supervision of an accredited agent of an educational organization described in or of a State or political subdivision of a State.

• parents have provided over ½ your support
  • you don't file a joint return if married except to claim any withholding when there's no tax loability

thank you so much for the speedy and thorough response! that clears so much up!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies