turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband lives in Illnois and gets social security, I live in michigan, do I have to file 2 state returns? How do I file separate ones for state if I need to file 2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

My husband lives in Illnois and gets social security, I live in michigan, do I have to file 2 state returns? How do I file separate ones for state if I need to file 2?

That depends.  If you are Married Filing Jointly, but residents of different states, you could file separate state returns.

Since Illinois does not tax retirement income, your husband may not need to file an Illinois return, unless he has other types of income.  

Michigan does not tax Social Security, but does tax other types of retirement income. However, Michigan does not allow Married Filing Separately unless your Federal return was also Married Filing Separately

Check with Michigan Dept. of Revenue  if you need more specific info.

Click the link for detailed instructions on Filing Separate State Returns in TurboTax. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
wackmo
Returning Member

can you enlighten us on the reason your husband lives in a different state.     illinois does not tax social security.   

illinois says

If you filed a joint federal return and one spouse is an Illinois resident while the other spouse is a
nonresident or a part-year resident, you may file separate Illinois returns. If you file a joint Illinois return, you will
both be taxed as resident.

nichigan is different

If you are considered married for federal tax purposes, you must
file your Michigan return using either the married filing jointly
or married filing separately filing status. This applies to all
couples who are married under the laws of the State of Michigan
or under the laws of another state. If you filed a joint federal
income tax return, you must file a joint Michigan income tax
return. If you and your spouse filed separate federal returns, you
may file separate or joint Michigan returns

Michigan also doesn't tax Social security.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If you are filing a joint federal return, then IL requires a state return. Here are the IL filing requirements for a retired person:

a retired Illinois resident who filed a federal return, you must file Form IL-1040. However, certain types of retirement income ( e.g., pension, Social Security, railroad retirement, governmental deferred compensation) may be subtracted from your Illinois income. For more information, see the instructions for Line 5 and Publication 120, Retirement Income.

As a nonresident, you can file form NR to remove your wages.

MI is very clear. If you file a joint federal return, you are filing a joint state return. The instructions are on the bottom of page 3, tops of page 4 in this MI Filing Instructions Link.

You can file both states with your federal. When you are in the state program, select the box that says Add Another State.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies