turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is disabled & I don't have income. I know he gets a COVID-19 stimulus check but do I need to file a tax return to get mine or will it come with his?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

My husband is disabled & I don't have income. I know he gets a COVID-19 stimulus check but do I need to file a tax return to get mine or will it come with his?

If you filed a joint tax return, the two of you will receive a combined payment the the two of you.  If your husband's filing status was Married Filing Separate, then you will have to file as well in order to receive a stimulus payment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

He doesn't file taxes...neither of us do. I need to know if they will put my money on his benifit card as well as his or do I need to file a tax return to get my check. 

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Since you have not filed a return for the past two years and do not receive Social Security, you will need to use this link to register for your Stimulus Payment:  Stimulus Registration.    Select If you don't need to file your tax returns this year to get started.

Ok thats what I thought I would have to do. The only other thing I need to know is do I file seperate since he'll get his money on his benefit card or do I still file married?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

I would do married.

If I do married will it mess up him getting his money on his card? He should get his soon and I dont want to screw it up and it come with mine in the mail instead.

The stimulus payment has no affect on any other program. 

Oh I know that. Thats not what I mean. His stimulus payment will come on his benefit card hopefully soon but I dont want them to send his stimulus payment with mine instead.

Since you know he will get a stimulus check, use Single when you complete the TurboTax Stimulus form shown in the answer above. 

Thank you so much. That is what i thought I'd have to do but wanted to be sure. Also, i dont know if u know the answer to this but can i use a prepaid visa card to have my money put on it or does it have to be an actual bank?

I have another problem and I can't remember where I have to go to get help with it so i was wondering if I can still ask you.

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Absolutely,  please use this link for your Stimulus Registration.  When you are on this web page, scroll toward the bottom and select, If you don't need to file your taxes this year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies