Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My husband and I only received 1/2 of our stimulus checks! We should have received $4200 (me, him, dependent) but only got $2100. Why? We don't make the max amount.

My 2020 was filed earlier this month and is still processing. But nothing has changed from my 2019 to my 2020 taxes. 

My husband and I only received 1/2 of our stimulus checks! We should have received $4200 (me, him, dependent) but only got $2100. Why? We don't make the max amount.

What did TurboTax suggest we do?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

@Sml72978

My first thought was that the IRS used 2019 tax information in computing your third stimulus payment.  But that does not compute either.

If your 2020 Federal 1040 tax return has not been accepted, the IRS is using 2019 tax information.

This TurboTax Help states:

Do I need to do anything to get my stimulus check?

You don’t need to do anything to get your stimulus check. The IRS will determine eligibility based on your last tax return (either 2019 or 2020) and will likely send your payment to the bank account where your tax refund was deposited.

We do not know when or how the additional third stimulus amounts will be processed. 

Perhaps, at some point soon, the 2020 Federal 1040 tax return information will be updated and the full payment issued but we do not know what the IRS plans to do.  The IRS could, again, use the 2021 Federal 1040 tax return to reconcile the third stimulus payments.

Follow the TurboTax COVID Tax Center and the IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center as further updates are issued by the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jake333

I’m also in the same predicament. Filed jointly with my wife for the first time in January. Had our first born late 2020. No issues with the first two stimulus checks, or taxes. All the sudden $2100 shows up. It’s more than for one person, not enough for two. It’s still in “pending transactions”, so I was going to wait to start getting on the phone (because that will be a pain) until it clears. I’ve been typing different things into the search and this is the only thing I’ve seen so far. 

@Sherry1697  Did they mention why it only distributed half? Can you keep me posted when the other half of the $$ showed up? What time of day did you call?  

Yeah my wife and I had a little girl in 2020, submitted our 2020 taxes, received our return, and were supposed to get $4200 today. But we only got $2100 too. I'm really hoping it's just because they are paying it in installments or something but I'm not going to lie, it makes me feel a little bit better knowing we're not in this boat alone. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Same thing with my husband and I for both stimulus checks. We also make under the threshold. We only received $2100 when we were supposed to receive $4200. Was told there’s nothing we can do. Our 2020 taxes are still “processing” and we made less! Kinda stinks when people are truly struggling! 

We were told by our current tax preparer for this year that’s still processing that there’s nothing we can do. We also used turbo tax in 2019. Seems like it’s all the people who used turbo tax that are having issues again. 

Everyone here including myself have stated we are way under the guidelines! Seems like we all have used turbo tax coincidently. We are all having the same issue! Same issue happened with the last stimulus with turbo tax! Very frustrating!!

@Min1689  I used my CPA and not turbo tax.

Kp1232

Same with us. Hopefully the other half gets deposited soon

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The first round of payments for the third stimulus was not the full amount.  The IRS will continue to send payments and process returns at the same time. They are behind and also follow the instruction they have been given.  Continue to watch for the rest of your third stimulus payments.  Here is the most recent updated information for the third economic impact payment (EIP) stimulus payments. IRS EIP3 page 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the update but that still doesn't explain why some people DID receive their full amounts. My parents got their full amount, yet myself and so many others only got half.

Klthomp

@rae-e-arnold  I have had the same issue. Im

wondering if you ever figured out what happened? I’m not sure who to contact first. Thanks!

I posted the resolution from the IRS in this thread

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies