turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal tax return of 2018 got rejected and i just noted that, what should i do?

as today july 13 2022 i just noted that my federal tax return of 2018 got rejected on my turbotax account, should i make an amend on the 2018 turbotax software or is there something else i need to do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My federal tax return of 2018 got rejected and i just noted that, what should i do?

No, do not amend.  You only amend accepted or mailed returns.  Just print it out and mail it.  Do you have to fix anything?  But it might be too late to get a refund from 2018.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No, do not amend.  You only amend accepted or mailed returns.  Just print it out and mail it.  Do you have to fix anything?  But it might be too late to get a refund from 2018.

@AllanHZ 

1) review your transcript on IRS.gov.  Is it possible it was paper filed "way back when" and you don't remember that?  is the balance for 2018 zero'd out?  Any record on the transcript that the tax return was processed? 

2) if there is no record of a return on IRS.gov, you can't amend.  The original tax return would have to be submitted. 

3) do you have a copy of the 2018 return?  if necessary, you can print, sign and mail it in.  

4) if it turns out that in deed the IRS has no record of your 2018 tax return, here is the further problem.  if you were due a refund, the window to receive that refund expired in April, 2022. I'd still send on the 2018 tax return, but don't expect to receive the refund.  if you owe money, send it along with the tax return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies