turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal e-file is not going through. I'm given the following error message: 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My federal e-file is not going through. I'm given the following error message: 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

I had success today after having this problem. This was my situation. I had a domestic number listed in my tax return, I believe because it wouldn't let me input my international number (Moldova). Fortunately my wife ported her number before we departed the states and she can still get SMS messages to her gmail. 

In my Intuit account I had my Moldova number listed, as that section allows you to enter international numbers. But this number wasn't verified like my email was. I believe the problem was Intuit wasn't transmitting the SMS to verify the number but it allowed you to leave the number there but unverified. I bet this is why the taxes wouldn't transmit though. Today I inserted my wife's US number and was able to get that verified. Then my taxes transmitted. 

For those of you still having problems and don't have access to a US number to get your number verified, check to see if you have an unverified international number in your Intuit account, not on your tax return. It may still work if you just delete the unverified number as well, I didn't think to try that first but saw it gave me the option to delete my phone number. 

I hope this helps a few people. 

View solution in original post

159 Replies

I just got exactly the same message and have the same need for an explanation and solution/work-around.

By parsing the words in the error message, it looks like it has something to do with a phone number and text messaging.

SMS is a text message method.  And a required 10-digit number implies a phone number.    Did you elect to receive something by text message and provided an invalid phone number that doesn't have 10 digits or that can't receive SMS text messages?

What product are you using?  Are you using Online TurboTax via a web browser on a computer?  Or are you using the  TurboTax Mobile App on a portable device?  Or are you using Online TurboTax via a browser on a mobile device?

I’m having the exact same problem.  The format for the phone number seems to be the problem.  It will not accommodate my European phone number.  Last year I used my Skype phone number (US), but this year I’m getting the same error message you’re getting, when I enter my Skype number.

** TurboTax Tech if you’re seeing our messages, please let us know that you’re working on this issue.

thank you...

Same problem here. Filing from Sweden but I've inputted a working US number but to no avail.

Same issue here. I had updated my phone number this year to a German cell number which TurbotaxOnline accepted when I logged on this year (my 9th year of using TurboTax). When I got to the e-file i receive the error above.  Thinking it was the phone number on my account, I deleted the number and tried again to e-file.  Same error.

Please tell us there's something being done to resolve this issue or this regular customer won't be here next year.

I've reported this issue to a TurboTax Moderator and asked them to review this thread today.  It seems to have mostly started in the last day or so.  I don't know if it's a known issue or not, but this is an unusual cluster of folks with the same error.

I too received the same error message. Filing from England

601ERRV:2, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

Same problem here. Invalid SMS Number. First year filing taxes overseas as well. I have a U.S. number in my personal info, and don't remember if I did any type of verification with my overseas number when I first logged in this year. 

I have the same error coming through. Does anyone know how to get this fixed?

Same problem and I can't get any support from a Turbo tax moderator.

I had this problem yesterday too.

I remember seeing a moderator message the said to delete and retype all the information on the info page.  I did that and it did not change anything...still got this stupid message.

Pretty crummy service for the money I paid this year to have their service.

They were pretty quick to take my money this year, way before I was finished. 

Their number is  Eight Hundred - six hundred twenty four - nine thousand and sixty six.  The squeaky wheel gets greased.  We should all call.

Now why would Turbo Tax come remove the number from my message, but not provide us an answer. Is Intuit manned by former government bureaucrats?

Hi everyone, I spoke with someone today about this issue over the phone. It seems to be a software problem, and the bug has been reported and should supposedly be addressed in "the next few days." The customer assistant said to keep trying once a day, but she expected it would be corrected by Monday or Tuesday of this coming week.

It does seem to be related to us expats filing abroad...

Thanks.  I finally got through their 800 number, then they called me back, but the line dropped.

I am an expat...and you're right, we are all expats.  Wonder what this is all about. 

thank you!

Same issue for me and it continues even when I use a friend's US phone number in my profile.

This is my first year back in the UK after leaving the US in 2019. There's a theme here. I will call them or, will end up having to mail from the UK.

Same issue, everything I filled is correct. This needs fixing ASAP 😄

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies