turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My federal e-file is not going through. I'm given the following error message: 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

If you cannot "borrow" a US domestic telephone number try this:

https://gethuman.com/phone-number/TurboTax

Do not verity in Intuit. Not sure if the TT account needs a matching number but it can't hurt. It was the Intuit telephone number that was keeping me from filing.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

My federal e-file is not going through. I'm given the following error message: 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

If you get the error message 601ERRV:5 CustHdr_17 - ? : ? - Invalid SMS Number. Contains invalid digits when trying to e-file your return in TurboTax Online, it means the phone number is invalid or not a U.S. domestic phone number.

You must use a valid, U.S. domestic 10-digit phone number for your SMS text message.

To change your number, sign in to TurboTax, open your return, and select My Info from the left menu. If your number is also added to your account, select Intuit Account from the left menu and edit the number there as well.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I live in Cambodia and filed my taxes last month, then I received an email today that my forms were all rejected. So now I fixed the supposed problems and received this error message. This is my third year filing overseas, never had a problem before. I tried the above solutions, but still can't verify my phone number. Uggg.

busycharlie
Returning Member

So I used my brothers USA cell number and verified it on my intuit account. I then added the same number to the address and phone section on my e-file. Everything worked and my e-file was sent without any issues. It appears that the numbers need to match. 

I've had this problem with my bank trying to send authorization codes. I HAD a US phone number but it doesn't work in Uruguay so I couldn't get any authorization codes (solution: get a credit card for a different bank).

I thought MAYBE I could solve the problem by getting a Skype-In number but then I read the fine print and my bank will only send authorization codes to "valid" US numbers which excludes any web based numbers. So - no Skype In for me.

Now I can't even use the cell number I had with AT&T because they disconnected it without notice due to them phasing out 3G. So now I have NO US phone number to enter on the return, which is apparently needed to eFile. At least I have a few months to sort it out.

@RomanyUY A US phone number is needed to e-file a federal tax return using TurboTax.  However, the IRS does NOT require a phone number on a tax return since the IRS does not communicate with taxpayers by phone, they only communicate through the mail.  So you can enter any number with a valid US Area Code, such as 203-222-2222

Fascinating. 

Is this TurboTax's rule or the IRS? One would wonder if using some random US number might be tax fraud.
Of course, the overseas community are the people most likely to use eFiling rather than deal with international mail.

Something to think about.

@RomanyUY That is a TurboTax rule only.  The why has never been fully explained.  We see this a lot especially with US taxpayers filing from outside the US and they do not have a US phone number to enter in TurboTax.

Cant get code to file taxes! Text me [phone number removed]

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are having trouble with your verification code, please review our Help Article here for further assistance.  

@lois flesher 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies