turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My federal e-file is not going through. I'm given the following error message: 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

I've waited the 24 hours per the help page for problems with e-filing. Still no-go. It's unfortunate that there's no help support over the weekend. If I hadn't already paid for the service this year, I'd be using a different company. If, as someone posted earlier, this is a recent problem, then it sounds like a change was made to the software without enough testing and the team has left the building. Intuit is losing this customer's future business.

My federal e-file is not going through. I'm given the following error message: 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

notsohappywithturb0tax

I noticed this year that Turbo Tax was more aggressive in seeking it's payment, even before I completed and sent the return in.  But for 10 years, I  haven't had any problem.  Now I see what happens when I do have a problem.  I'm agree with you, this customer service level stinks.  It's been three days for me and this problem existed for at least two days before that, and they had been notified of it. 

hworthing

Thank you so much for figuring this out! So happy that other people were having a similar problem and that it is most likely going to be fixed soon. Hope is restored! 

I'm having the same issue. Been using the service for several years now. 

Also, Turbotax, your customer service is notoriously horrendous. What you call "live support" is not actually live. It's only live during certain hours. Even then, you have to wade through a marsh of useless information on your forum because the moderators and/or tech people involved with fixing actual issues seem to be removed from the equation altogether. Instead, the forums are filled with folks just like me who have questions but never really get solid answers.

Invest in customer service and support. You desperately need it. 

Same issue filing from Ecuador.. Very frustrating since I have already paid. Hopefully this will be resolved soon. 

Did I miss something?  Did Intuit finally respond?  I haven's seen that.

I am using the online version and with a 10 digit US phone number:(

I had success today after having this problem. This was my situation. I had a domestic number listed in my tax return, I believe because it wouldn't let me input my international number (Moldova). Fortunately my wife ported her number before we departed the states and she can still get SMS messages to her gmail. 

In my Intuit account I had my Moldova number listed, as that section allows you to enter international numbers. But this number wasn't verified like my email was. I believe the problem was Intuit wasn't transmitting the SMS to verify the number but it allowed you to leave the number there but unverified. I bet this is why the taxes wouldn't transmit though. Today I inserted my wife's US number and was able to get that verified. Then my taxes transmitted. 

For those of you still having problems and don't have access to a US number to get your number verified, check to see if you have an unverified international number in your Intuit account, not on your tax return. It may still work if you just delete the unverified number as well, I didn't think to try that first but saw it gave me the option to delete my phone number. 

I hope this helps a few people. 

You're a true hero. This worked for me 🙂

LField, THANK YOU. This worked for me so I've marked it as the "best answer." Of course I can't confirm if it works for everyone, but it looks like this was indeed the problem, at least for me.

Now we can move on with our lives. 🙂

Didn't work for me, but I'm working on this.  I don't have a US number, and Intuit won't accept my Cambodia number for text messages or phone calls.  Frustrating.  I'll see if I can insert a friend's number for verification later today when they wake up.  Thanks for the hint.  This is the Intuit number, not the Turbo Tax number.

This worked for me as well. Thankfully. Finally. I don't have US phone but I used my moms and it seemed to work. Odd that it's giving this error though - I filed taxes abroad last few years without any issue like this. Thankfully someone figured it out. Thanks for passing along info.

Me too. It is the Intuit account phone number, not the Turbo Tax info. 

I used a US relative's number.

This must be something new. I've done the turbo tax online for 12 years already, never had this problem. 

Wish they would have told us about this.

Thank you to everyone who contributed.

Much appreciated.

I sorted mine out as well using a verifiable US number (not Google Voice) that went into my Intuit account and then the return itself.

This fixed it.  My Intuit account had my foreign number but my form had a US number.  I changed my foreign number to the same US number on my form and it took.  Thanks!

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies