turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dlamppa

My 16 year old daughter got her first W2

How do II add her W2? I can add additional w2 for both parents but II can’t figure out how to add daughters income
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

You do not enter her earned income reported on a W-2 on your tax return.

She can file her own tax return to report the income and the taxes withheld from the W-2.  If her income is less than $12,200 she will get back all the federal income taxes withheld.  If she does file a tax return then make double sure that she indicates on her tax return that she can be claimed as a dependent.

My 16 yo daughter earned little over 3,000 dollars in 2019. We made a mistake on for W2 form and checked to be “withheld” instead of “exempt”. Is there any way to fix this? Total of tax she paid for was about $500. (Fed income tax, SS, and Medicare) 

I file her as my independent.
Thank you. 

@beamerbeamer wrote:

My 16 yo daughter earned little over 3,000 dollars in 2019. We made a mistake on for W2 form and checked to be “withheld” instead of “exempt”. Is there any way to fix this? Total of tax she paid for was about $500. (Fed income tax, SS, and Medicare) 

I file her as my independent.
Thank you. 

You would have to submit a new W-4 and give that to her employer if she is still working for them.

She can file a 2019 tax return and get the federal income taxes withheld refunded to her.  Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld are not refundable.  Nor entering 'exempt on the W-4 will have any affect on the SS and Medicare taxes being withheld.

If she files a 2019 tax return make sure that she indicates on her tax return that she can be claimed as a dependent.

If state income taxes were also withheld then she should also file a state tax return to get those state taxes withheld refunded.

Thank you, DoninGA. 
I’ve never filed anyone else but myself. I assume I do it as I file myself. I think I read that Turbo Tax allow to file more than one person but I’m not sure. Is there anything I should know beforehand? Thank you. 

@beamerbeamer wrote:

Thank you, DoninGA. 
I’ve never filed anyone else but myself. I assume I do it as I file myself. I think I read that Turbo Tax allow to file more than one person but I’m not sure. Is there anything I should know beforehand? Thank you. 

She would complete a tax return just like you do for your tax return.  The only difference is that she must indicate on her tax return that she can be claimed as a dependent.

The TurboTax online editions can only be used to complete one tax return per account and User ID.

If you are using the TurboTax online editions you will need to create a new account and a new User ID for her tax return using the Free edition - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

Ok. I’m going to work on it. Thank you! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies