Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Alext19

Moving to another state temporarily

Hi there! I am an employee at a boutique consulting firm based in the Bay Area. I just moved to Hawaii for 6 months. I was not planning on changing my address officially b/c I don't want to worry about tax issues, and neither does my employer since it's temporary! Is this technically legal if the move is temporary? Would there be a benefit tax-wise for myself and/or my employer for recognizing me as a Hawaii resident instead of a California resident?

Thanks in advance!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RossP88
Expert Alumni

Hi! I am a CPA with TurboTax Live. You would file a non-resident return for Hawaii for the time you worked there. You would get a credit for the taxes you paid to Hawaii in your home state (CA). Whether you file a resident return depends on if you intend to remain in the state indefinitely. Based on your responses, you would likely be a CA resident the entire year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rschule1
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you will be telecommuting, so if working in Hawaii and earning greater than $4488 in wages (single individual) then your will be considered a part year resident, which will require a Hawaii state tax return. A good move will be to update your residence with your employer and arrange for proper state withholding. Btw, this addresses only state income tax. Hawaii will have a myriad of other laws regarding living in the state, such as obtaining proper Hawaii identification. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies