Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dmr0
Level 3

Mojave OS for Apple computers is required for 2020. Thousands of 2011 Apple computers will be unable to run TurboTax. Is there a way to let Intuit know of that problem?

@macuser_22 Yes. As I wrote in my disappeared and now reappeared post "I think both of us know there isn't much value to continuing this discussion." Intuit made a decision. I understand that it is a business decision that Intuit made. As you point out (not in exactly these words), there are tradeoffs in all business decisions. I happen to think that it is an unwise decision, especially this year because of Apple's migration from Intel CPUs to Apple silicon.

However, I don't expect anyone reading this forum to accomplish any more than just showing Intuit how they are losing customers and perhaps induce Intuit management to reconsider (for future years) the tradeoffs inherent in their decision.

The main reason that I am continuing to post to this thread is not with expectation of changing anything, but just to correct inaccurate information. People have written that currently supported Apple development tools (Xcode and SDKs) can't compile code for deployment targets earlier than the versions of macOS that Apple currently supports. That is not true. Currently supported Apple development tools can compile code for deployment on the following versions of macOS: Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur. Everyone should understand that it is Intuit's, not Apple's, decision to develop TurboTax 2020 so that it only runs on Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur. The reason that other software vendors have no problem releasing their new software so that it runs on older versions of macOS is that those vendors made the business decision to support all the deployment targets that the currently supported Apple development tools can support as deployment targets.

You wrote "Apple officially drops support for 10.13 in Jan 2021, since TurboTax 2020 is for the 2021 filing season, 10.13 will not be supported during the life of TurboTax 2020." As a minor nitpick, I thought that Intuit supports download customers re-downloading TurboTax for up to three years, so that they can produce and file amended returns. Apple supports the current and two previous versions of macOS (and since Apple releases a new version each year, that turns out to mean supporting a macOS version for three years). So it would appear that for filing amended returns, if you used the oldest supported version of macOS when preparing your return and three years later your prepared an amended return with the same version of TurboTax running on the same version of macOS, Intuit would be supporting running TurboTax on a macOS version three years older than the oldest version of macOS supported by Apple. (But of course, that version of macOS was supported by Apple at the time that version of TurboTax was released.)

Mojave OS for Apple computers is required for 2020. Thousands of 2011 Apple computers will be unable to run TurboTax. Is there a way to let Intuit know of that problem?

@dmr0 wrote:

You wrote "Apple officially drops support for 10.13 in Jan 2021, since TurboTax 2020 is for the 2021 filing season, 10.13 will not be supported during the life of TurboTax 2020." As a minor nitpick, I thought that Intuit supports download customers re-downloading TurboTax for up to three years, so that they can produce and file amended returns. Apple supports the current and two previous versions of macOS (and since Apple releases a new version each year, that turns out to mean supporting a macOS version for three years). So it would appear that for filing amended returns, if you used the oldest supported version of macOS when preparing your return and three years later your prepared an amended return with the same version of TurboTax running on the same version of macOS, Intuit would be supporting running TurboTax on a macOS version three years older than the oldest version of macOS supported by Apple. (But of course, that version of macOS was supported by Apple at the time that version of TurboTax was released.)

The "amend" feature is a part of the original TurboTax software.  It is not new software at the time you choose to amend.   However, if you run the software at a later time on a OS that did not exist at the time that the TurboTax product was released and it is not comparable with the new OS then TurboTax probably will not support it not support it.   There should be no problems amending using the same OS that you originally filed with since nothing has changed.

I have never seen problems with the amend feature itself not running.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmr0
Level 3

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with this or suggesting that any problem would arise. I was making an analogy. Intuit releases a version of TurboTax that runs on a supported version of macOS and continues running (for the creation of amended returns) on that version of macOS even though Apple ends support for that version of macOS. Intuit released TurboTax 2020 when High Sierra was supported by Apple. They could have permitted TurboTax 2020 to run on High Sierra even though it was known that Apple would soon end support for that version of macOS.

Again, this is a business decision that Intuit made. I think it is an unwise decision and will result in the loss of customers. But it may also reduce Intuit's support costs. I suspect that the tradeoff is not in Intuit's financial interest (considering actual costs, reputation, customer loyalty, comparison with competitors, etc.) I know it is not in their customers' interest. As you said "Arguing with the messenger will not get you any results." I agree and don't see how our discussing it will improve anything.

Online intuit advises that Turbo Tax Premier 2020 works with Mac OS10.14 or later but after download message comes up that you need to upgrade to 10.15.  We do not want 10.15.  This is false advertising and intuit needs to fix it or change description.

@hksunshine wrote:

Online intuit advises that Turbo Tax Premier 2020 works with Mac OS10.14 or later but after download message comes up that you need to upgrade to 10.15.  We do not want 10.15.  This is false advertising and intuit needs to fix it or change description.

TurboTax minimum system requirements for Mac - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

• 2020: macOS Mojave 10.14 or later

If you are getting a message that you need to upgrade to 10.15 then contact TurboTax support to report this issue since it is an error.  The minimum as stated in the TurboTax support FAQ for 2020 is 10.14.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Or -

Use this phone number and select TurboTax - 1-800-4-INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)

The 10.15 message is simply a *warning* that NEXT YEAR for the 2021 product 10.15 or later will be required.   For 2020 the minimum is 10.14.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jrcmkc
Returning Member

This was a problem that Apple created in updating OS 10.14. The only cure that I know of is to update to OS 10.15 or later and wait for Apple to correct the software problem that lead to Turbotax crashing.

dmr0
Level 3

What makes you think it is a problem that Apple created?

It is a problem that Intuit created by making TurboTax refuse to run on slightly older versions of macOS, even though Apple supports development tools that would allow a single application to be built for deployment on a range of older through recent and the latest macOS.

Ok. Here is how I ended up being able to run turbo tax on my older mac also running High Sierra. This Mac has 16GB of RAM.

1. Since I already had Parallels loaded on the Mac to run Windows for another project, I upgraded Windows (within Parallels) from 7 to 10 for $139.

2. Installed TurboTax on Windows 10. $49

3. Upgraded Parallels and there was a Windows 10 update as well. $0.

4. Started TurboTax within Windows 10 which was within Parallels.

5. Waited, and waited until everything settled down and did the usual TurboTax update. This took a huge amount of time to initially load and run because it was installed within a virtual machine. 

6. Kept Windows 10 running in the background via Parallels on the Mac so it did not have to relaunch stuff all over again.

7. Launching TurboTax now seems to be happier when opening and is reasonably responsive. 

8. Total cost this year to file taxes on a local copy of TurboTax $188. Far less than having to buy a new MAC to use TurboTax.

Might help someone or not; but it works and since Windows 10 appears to be likely supported for the near future, it might be a workable solution to try.

How do I move my 2019 TurboTax file from my "High Sierra" iMac to my "Catalina" iMac so all my information can be transferred to TurboTax 2020?  

Copy your file to a jump drive attached to a USB port on the old computer, eject the drive, and attach it to your new computer and save the file to your desktop or tax folder.

fredanna

true for online as well as download

Turbo Tax online works fine with the older operating systems.  You just can't download and run this year's software on your own computer without the later operating systems.

My perfectly good 17" 2010 MacBook Pro won't run Mojave. Runs 10.13.6 just fine. I've been filing with TurboTax for Mac since at least as far back as 2010, but with this software extort ion, I guess I'll be switching to H&R Block this year. I'm not able to purchase a new machine with the capabilities and software upgrades I need to do my other work, nor am I about to switch to a less-capable and unfamiliar Windows 10 machine just to stick with Intuit.

Seeya later, thanks for nothing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies